15" MBPr scroll lag -- What are you experiences servicing this under AppleCare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesuisdanny, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jesuisdanny, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

jesuisdanny macrumors newbie

I'm one of the many that suffering from the dreaded and well documented scroll lag. Have tried literally everything to fix this on my own, but have had no success. Using a tool like QuickRes to force non-HiDPI has helped; I've been using this band aid solution for well over a year now..

I have a 3 year AppleCare warranty.. What are your experiences with trying to get this serviced? I can't see this being a hardware issue, but then again, it very well could be. It doesn't look like any 13" MBPr's suffer from the same issues? I know it isn't typical for Apple to give out full replacements.. There's been users that have reportedly had up to 9 repairs / replacements, and this doesn't sound like something I'd want to go through.. Countless hours over the phone, at the Genius Bar, the wait times for repairs..

Is this issue directly related to the issues with the LG / Samsung screens?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Samsung display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

2. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

It's because rendering a ton of pixels (that the retina macbook pro has) is hard. It takes time. Hardware isn't quite up to being as fast as the display demands. This becomes more prominent when you use an even higher resolution (towards the more workspace side of the slider) which renders the screen even larger than full retina resolution, then downsizes it to fit on the screen.

I don't think it's really a problem with a solution, you'll just have to wait for intel / nvidia to make improvements I believe.

3. jesuisdanny thread starter macrumors newbie

High resolution Windows machines operate just fine, as do high DPI tablets and the 13" MBPr..

This is a video I took of the issue when I first got it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F03PiYAh_Mw&feature=youtu.be

Excessive, and unacceptable.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well if you have the warranty and you're not happy with the performance then you can try reaching out to apple on this. Tbh, something that appears to be performance related may be a hard sell to them, i.e., convince them its a manufacturing defect that can be corrected.