15 MBPr to 13 MBPr with External Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by romanhdz, Aug 20, 2014.

  1. romanhdz macrumors member

    Apr 2, 2010
    Hey everyone,

    I wanted to get everyone's opinions on the state of the MacBook Pros right now. I currently own a 15 inch model (with retina display, 2012) and I've been wanting to "trade-down" to a retina 13 inch model + external display combo. I mostly use my computer for day-to-day stuff, university stuff, and programming of all sorts (most of my code running on remote machines), so I find that I don't really need the quad-core processor. I'm also not much of a gamer, so aside from the occasional game here and there (Minecraft), I don't think that I need the discreet graphics on my 15 inch model.

    One of the main reasons why I want to go to a 13 is for portability. I find that my 15 is too large to comfortably use in a train or plane. I wanted to get your opinions on wether now is a good time to purchase a 13 inch model and an external display. I know apple just did a spec-boost, but I feel that a design and feature-set change could be imminent. I also wanted to see what you think apple is going to do in terms of displays soon. I used a 27 cinema display all summer for work, and found that it was just alright compared to my 15 in. computer's display. Do y'all think a refresh for that display is coming soon?

    I know some of these questions seem a bit redundant, but I appreciate everyone's input! :)
  2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Oct 24, 2013
    Good time for Macbook bad for apple display.

    Well now is a good time for buying a 13 inch especially the great deals on refurb 2013 spec ones which are basically the same but cheaper.

    I can't see a redesign for another 3 years and to be honest there is no new features that they could include on a slim light laptop.

    Broadwell delays mean no change in specs until mid 2015 so not worth waiting for that.

    As for displays there is almost certainly a 4K apple display in the works so a third party display is your best bet at the moment, unless you want to wait for the apple one maybe by christmas.
  3. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    We're many months away from seeing broadwell released so this is as good as any time to buy the MBP. I'd say go for it.

Share This Page