15" MBPR vs 27" iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iampaulb, Jan 16, 2013.

1. iampaulb macrumors regular

Guys.

I am thinking of selling my iMac i7 / 12gb / 1GB gfx / 1TB which i bought in 2011. To get a 15" MBPR - Do you think it would be worth it? The main reason for selling the iMac is so i can be a bit portable, and when i plan on moving out i may not have desk space. The performance isnt an issue with the iMac actually its a bit of a beast..

What do you think the resale value of the iMac would be roughly? The computer is in showroom condition as they say.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Well the rMBP is faster than the iMac, so don't be too worried. Also I did the EXACT same thing from a 2011 27" iMac and my iMac had an SSD in it too.

I dont regret it at all and being able to be mobile outweighed the screen size of the iMac. You're going to get people in here saying "Wait for Haswell" blah blah blah, yada yada yada. Dont do it.

Haswell will be better, but why keep waiting if you want it now? Also, the 2012 iMacs were delayed until nearly 2013, so the waiting "game" doesnt always work out like people think.

3. bowlman23 macrumors regular

I just did this exact same thing. I sold my quad core i5, 2011, 12GB RAM on eBay the other day and netted a little over $1400. But honestly, I absolutely love my rMBP. I find it to be much faster. The SSD makes a big difference.

I really am enjoying my rMBP and did it for the same reasons you pretty much mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions.

4. iampaulb thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys!! Sounds like the rMPB is the way forward! I may buy one in a credit card and then sell the iMac did the IMac sell pretty quickly?

How did you find going from a 1TB to a lot smaller ssd? All my photos and docs are on Dropbox which is 20gb but I have a lot of music and I don't want that taking up half my hdd I'm sure it would be fine? But did you find yourself being tighter with your files and what you installed.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I sold mine locally within a weeks time. I had to lower the price though, those 2011 iMacs just arent nearly as desirable as MacBook Pro's.

6. bowlman23 macrumors regular

I did a 5 day auction on eBay starting at .99. That gets a lot of bidding going. I bought a WD Passbook 1TB for $89 and put all my heavy stuff on there.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

ebay and paypal fees are so expensive, its like paying state, federal, and social security taxes.... RIP OFF and modern day slave labor.

8. bowlman23 macrumors regular

I had a free listing. Didn't have to pay the 9%.

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

There is no way its 9%. I had a free listing, sold an iPhone 5 64GB for $1100 and my fee was $162