15" Mid 2010 Swollen Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ustahir1, May 30, 2017.

1. ustahir1 macrumors member

I know my laptop is old but it has lasted me a good amount of time & currently in the process of buying a house so buying a replacement isn't quite an option at the moment.

So my laptop suffered a swollen battery, it got to the point the track pad was popping out of the casing. Took it to a apple store where I was told they could remove it but due to the age they don't have any parts & that I'd need to go to a 3rd party store. I was also told that I could still run it off the mains without the battery & not being mobile at the moment that was okay.

However when I got it home & plugged in the original magsafe charger it lights green but the macbook still doesn't turn on it's 15" with anti glare screen. It is a 60W but not sure if it needs to be a higher?

Is it cheaper to buy a new battery or charger & given apple doesn't support with parts, does anybody recommend a place I can get a good quality replacement.

2. venom600 macrumors 6502a

If I recall correctly some Macbook Pros won't boot without the battery installed. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has something to do with the power supply being augmented by the battery under high power draw situations.

Here's the iFixIt on how to install it, and they link to the battery for $89, which is your best option. You might find it cheaper elsewhere, but I'd be very, very hesitant to put a battery from an unknown source in these days.

3. treekram macrumors 65832

You should be using a 85W charger. Your MBP might require the battery to run or to run reliably (might shut down if too much power is being drawn). If the person at the Apple store didn't ask what type of charger and what specific model/year you have, I don't know that you can rely on the answer that was given.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700

4. ustahir1 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe my charger has been mixed with my brother who has the 13" which would explain why it is 60W

Is it still possible to buy the 85W from apple? I believe this would be the safer and easier option than a battery from an unknown source

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can buy really cheap chinese batteries on eBay. They don't last as long as OEM ones, and they wear down much faster, but they will let you use your laptop for a couple of years more, if price is that much of an issue.

And you can also get cheap screwdrivers on Ebay to put it in, which is REALLY easy.

6. treekram macrumors 65832

If you can't find the 85W that came with your MBP, on the Apple website, they only sell the 85W Magsafe 2 charger (you need the Magsafe charger). I would look for a reputable seller that sells the Apple charger. This is one:
    https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MD506LLA/

I use both the "L" and "T" style connectors with my 2012 MBP, and the charger specs match so I don't think it makes a difference between the two connector styles.