15" mid 2014 MBPr clicking/popping noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deepsun, Oct 13, 2014.

1. deepsun macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I've got a brand new (4 days) 15" mid 2014 MBPr making a weird clicking/popping noise on the underside of the case. It happens intermittently when I move the computer or shut the lid, almost as if the those actions causes parts of the hardware to shift enough to produce a sound. It seems to be oriented near the middle and back case screws on the left side.

Speaking to AppleCare resulted in trying to take it to a service provider, as I'm almost two hours from the Apple retail store where I bought it. The service provider was less-than-enthused to take a look at it, and said it would be no less than 2-5 business days if we wanted them to find out what the issue was. I use it for my business, so I wasn't quite prepared to wait that long.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it just be a loose case screw? Not sure what to try next. Thanks!

2. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

This is normal. There is no gasket or other separate material in-between the aluminium unibody and the aluminium bottom plate.

Usually, if there is noise, there is some grit in there somewhere that isn't allowing a perfect fit.

Every month or two the noise comes back, and I solve it by removing the bottom plate, cleaning the contact edges and screw holes, and re-installing the plate.

You will need a pentalobe bit to do this, or just take it to an apple store and they will do it for you.

They really should have a gasket in between, but alas...

3. deepsun thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. It seems weird that there would already be grit in there after 4 days. Maybe you're right!

Since it's under warranty/AppleCare, I'd rather avoid any DIY stuff right now.

Do you think the store would need to keep it for several days just to do that? Part of the issue with the service provider's timeframe is that I'm a photographer and I'm right in the middle of an editing crunch.

Thanks for the input!

4. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I get this once an while from seemingly the middle of my notebook when it sits idle. It usually occurs when under load.

5. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

They can do it on the spot. It only takes a minute to do.

If you have the correct screw driver, there is no real risk in doing it yourself. Just make sure you get a good driver that fits well, otherwise you can easily strip those screws.

That said, I stripped a screw with a cheap driver myself and the genius I dealt with at the apple store was able to get it out with their pentalobe drivers, he didn't care that it was my fault and even put in a new screw for me.

Good luck.

6. nobodyjustwalks macrumors regular

Same computer as you. No noise. Might be normal, might not be. Explanation above seems plausible. Since you have 14 days to return, Iʻd take it back for a new machine.

7. GP-SE macrumors 6502

x2, just exchange it. I have a 15" 2014 that I've had for over a month now, no noises at all!