15 Month Old Macbook Pro Refurb with 9% Battery Health

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vertigo78, Sep 17, 2010.

1. vertigo78 macrumors regular

The battery was at 86% at least 4 months ago. Every time I re-calibrated (about once a month) it would go down a few percent. It went down to 76% two months ago. It then went down to 32% a month ago without me re-calibrating. I re-calibrated because I thought it was wrong but it stayed the same. I tried again a day later and it went up to 72%. A month later my mbp can't last 20 minutes without being plugged in and my battery health is now at 9%.

Do you think I could get my battery replaced if I went into the Apple Store?

(It's a late 2008 mbp)

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

How many charge cycles are there? If it's low (say, under 100 or near the 100 cycle range) then I don't think you'll have much luck getting it replaced.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

why would a low cycle count not be qualified for replacement?

4. vertigo78 thread starter macrumors regular

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

A low charge cycle would indicate that the computer is being used more while being connected to a power source instead of off the battery which can affect the health of a battery.

(read: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html).

300 charge cycles is basically the average where batteries begin to show wear and not function to it's full potential. Your charge cycle is at 263 which is basically there but shouldn't be showing health at 9%. That's not saying that the battery is faulty, it could be how you used the battery but I don't think Apple will provide a free replacement. You're free to call them and inquire but don't expect one.