15" MPB SSD and Time Capsule ? External HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kushed, Mar 21, 2011.

1. kushed, Mar 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2011

kushed macrumors regular

i just recently bought a new MBP. the one thats in my sig.. and im wondering what the best way is to access my information? For example.. i have office 11 loaded onto my mac and a whole lot of other apps i used on a daily basis and i have MOST of my music on there.. i am down to 60 gigs. i have a boatload of movies on my old Macbook (unibody) and i dont know how i should set up my external. Is a time capsule capable of streaming movies wirelessly to my mac so i can watch them on my plasma i have connected to my new mac? or would a firewire HDD be best for transporting movies to watch? im pretty perplexed on which route to go. Or maybe i should get apple TV but does that hold music and movies you have already downloaded or can you only rent them? does it have storage space on it? Basically the question i have which way should i go for streaming music and movies to my new mac!?

i know im not a computer whiz so any critisicm isnt going to help but id love to hear some helpful opinions! thank you very much to anyone has some input and i hope all of you are enjoying your new computers as much as i am!

i just am not sure which route is the best way for steraming movies i own and which is the easiest to store and retireve data, and which is the fastest?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not entirely sure if the TC is an ideal streaming device. It wouldn't depend on your internet speed, as the data isn't coming from the net. It would be far easier and cheaper just to get an external hard drive (firewire or USB would be fine) and store them on that.

3. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

Money NOT being an option.. would you mind telling me which route to take then? (FW or USB)? which would transfer faster ? also, do powered external HDDs transfer quicker?

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

FW is faster, but either would be plenty fast for streaming movies. If the few extra bucks isn't a problem, go FW. Transfer speeds would be similar between bus powered or AC powered drives, the difference is size and price.

5. lucero1148 macrumors member

FW is much faster than USB. TC, it is possible to watch movies stored in TC, however to do so means you have to manually go into your saved TC files, go to user, go to movie folder, then find the movie you want to watch. It will play, but its ust that you have to navigate through all those folders to eventually watch a movie.

6. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

thank you very much!!!!!

is there anyone i can have my TC in my finder under my iDisk? then just a folder called movies click on one and play it? if-so then that just seems very easy all ill probably be doing that.

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If money is no object, you're better off getting a USB HDD and creating a NAS with your TC for all your video type media.

8. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

can you dumb that down for me a little bit sir? whats the price of this looking at exactly?

9. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

If you already have TC, it's anywhere from $100-$150 for a 2TB USB external.

10. kushed thread starter macrumors regular

im just not following what a NAS is

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

NAS is basically what youre trying to do with the Time Capsule and in my opinion isnt a viable option, having tried that myself.
    If money is no option as you state, get a OptiBay/DataDoubler with a 1TB hard drive to put most of your content on there. and use the TC as your back up appliance.
    Watch for 'Thunderbolt' drives that would be the best/fastest the MBP would offer next to FW800.
    I currently just run a 2TB iTunes Library off FireWire800 until I order the optibay solution.

12. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

This is a great option too. I am running all of my video media off of a NAS, and all of my music media off of my MBP HDD. It's worked great for me. If I take my MBP out, I have all my music with me, and all my video stays at home. It all syncs to my iPad, so I can take whatever I want on that.