15" MPB TB Battery Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarc, Mar 20, 2017.

1. sarc macrumors member

Hi all, so I have been experiencing an issue over the last few days with my 2016 15" MBP TB.
    When I stop using my laptop and close the lid I come back to it a few hours later and two things happen:
    1. The laptop has no charge. Strange as when I left it, it had more than 50%. or
    2. The laptop is hot to the touch and the battery has drained dramatically. This just happened. Had 70% then came back 4 hours later and now down to 15%.
    So I'm guessing that something is making it run during the time it is supposed to be sleeping. I have done a check in Activity Monitor and the only thing that has been running for a long time was the LoginScreen.

The only app I have recently installed, but do not have open (not even in the bar across the top) is Spotify. When it is in sleep mode the only apps I have open are Airmail, Evernote, Safari & iTunes.

Would anyone have any suggestions or has anyone else experienced the same issue?

2. kart macrumors regular

I would do a complete reinstall of the OS, and if problems persist head into an Apple Store. You aren't running any apps in the background whilst the lid is shut? Still shouldn't lead to this problem. Best to head into apple if that OS reinstall doesn't help.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Could be it isnt sensing the lid is shut due to a simple failure of the sensor.

4. sarc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think this might be my issue. I'll be taking it in to see what they can do.

5. sarc thread starter macrumors member

I think I have found out the reason to my issue.
    I have a pair of AirPods and I think these are what was using the battery. I had bluetooth setting set to wake my device. I also unfortunately had my screen set to always on and to never turn off. I think the AirPods would wake the laptop and then the screen would stay on using the battery.
    I have now turned off the wake device under the bluetooth setting and I have so far not had the issue anymore.