15 or 13 mbp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mellofello, Apr 6, 2014.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

I'm coming up on a new laptop. Cost isn't really a factor. I'm moving from a 2011 macbook air. The computer will never see heavy duty use so I will get base with 256 ssd.

Which one would you get and why.

2. Stevi macrumors member

Stevi

Honestly it depends on your needs. I chose the 13 because if I want the real estate I have a 27" iMac. I picked the 13 for portability. I never even looked at the specs of the 15" models. If however size matters then what made me make my choice won't work for you.

So it really boils down to size versus power. The 15s are more powerful, but the 13s are more portable.

Hope this helps.

Stevi

3. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I can second the thus far posted logic. I opted into the 13" for the portability with the option of a much larger monitor restate. You say you will probably never use it for heavy workload, but I can safely say that even the 13" pulls it's weight very well for the form factor.

4. Trek2100 macrumors 6502a

Trek2100

+1 I just purchased the 13", 8GB, 2.4 GHz, 256GB SSD version to replace my aging (late 2006) 17" MBP. This model makes the older top of the line MBP seem like a slow dinosaur. I already have an i7 quad core iMac so this was bought for true "laptop" use and it's light weight is ideal for traveling or surfing at a local Starbucks or anywhere with free WiFi. It's really fast and the retina display is awesome.

In the end it's a matter of personal choice. If you can, check them out at an Apple store and see the difference for yourself.

5. Moosebear macrumors newbie

I got the 15" and then returned it. Nice having the screen real estate while at a desk, yes. But I'm often also using my laptop on my lap or propped up in bed or on the sofa. For that, the 15" was too big and awkward, to me.

6. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I've just been in your situation recently. Being undecided on the 13 or the 15".
    I ended up ordering the 15" last week. Still waiting for it's arrival.

The 13" is really portable, in terms of size and weight. It's powerful for the mobile user and the average gamer.

However, if you need more processing power, then I'd suggest looking at the 15".

Why I got the 15": I need processing power as I want to run Lightroom and PS6. I also intend to bootcamp win8 and run some VMs.

As for ram, I'd suggest a min. of 8GB and to max it out if you can.

Just my 2 cents. :D

7. Mike Boreham, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I got both :):)

I need two laptops and have just replaced two 17" MBPs with maxed out 13" and 15" retina MBPs.

Coming down from 17" I was apprehensive about the smaller "real estate", but so far I never find myself thinking I wish it was bigger, even on the 13".

I have never owned a 13" before and really enjoying the portability.

8. accountforit macrumors 6502a

I think it's funny that people state the 15" isn't as portable as the 13". That's ridiculous. The weight and size differences are minuscule. You can take the 15" everywhere you can take the 13".

The 15" will always be better in every aspect.

9. RickG macrumors regular

I have had the 13 retina since it first came out and have never had an issue- very happy with the portability and speed- I never considered the 15 as it was too heavy and big for my needs- but who wouldn't want more power ...

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I have the 13" as per my signature.
    It is PLENTY powerful enough for my needs (there is only 1 program I use that does number crunching) and the added expense of the 15" wasn't worth it.
    I wanted something fast, portable and with a good battery life. Upgrade-ability isn't an issue to me either.
    Very pleased with my purchase.

Barney

11. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

Is the 15 bad to use in bed? I have a iPad and iMac also so this is more my around the house computer. But sometimes it's nice to recline with a laptop. That is the best part of the air.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

13'' 2.6 GHz/8/256 - this is what I actually bought. Mobility was my main motivation to go for the smaller size. The added benefit is that with the much lower price I wouldn't feel too bad upgrading in two years time.

If money really played no role I might still go for the same, not even sure I would add more upgrades. However I would also get myself a Mac Pro :D For gaming :D :D

13. 5to1, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

5to1 macrumors regular

13" rMBP: 31.4 x 21.9 = 687.66cm^2
    15" rMBP: 35.89 x 24.71 = 889.71cm^2

687.66/889.71 = 0.77

In other words the 13 occupies a quarter less surface area of your workspace. Flip the lid open to use each machine and the 15 is a quarter bigger across two almost perpendicular planes. By most peoples definition of the word, that is not a minuscule difference.

It may not make much difference to the environments you use the machine in, but for some of us that is a big deal.

13" rMBP: 1.57kg
    15" rMBP: 2.02kg

1.57/2.02 = 0.78

In other words the 15 is a quarter heavier then the 13. Once again I find the use of the word minuscule inappropriate to describe that disparity.

For me personally the 15 is not better in every aspect, because surprise surprise, some of us don't consider such differences as minuscule :D Credit us with having the sense to know what is important to us and what works best for the environments we use our laptops in.

I chose the 13 over the 15 because it was the better package and in particular better in important aspects for my usage. Coming from Windows machines, I'm used to paying more for the smaller/lighter machine, so its a pleasant surprise for once to pay less (not that the price difference was significant in my choice, if the prices were reversed I'd still take the 13 all day long. And have done in the past).

14. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

28.66% heavier, indeed.

15. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

I thought 13" was maybe to small a screen after moving from a 15" p.c. laptop 3 yrs ago

for home comfort and quality usgage its been brilliant with my 13"mcbpro
    i
    (There is still a wee bit of weight though I use my mcb on my lap 5-7 evenings per week)

The quality I get in internet use/sound/video is suberp

Ive found that the -2" in screen size is not not noticable for dailly use

:)

16. leftyMac macrumors regular

I used to love MBP 13, my last 3 laptops have been MBP 13. But my current configuration at home makes me use my MBP without an external monitor once in a while. Then I realized I needed more screen real estate. So I got a rMBP 15 as a sole computer, I couldn't be happier. Practically there's no gap going between MBP and my external monitor. It's very usable on its own.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Very happy here with my nearly week-old rMBP 13". I chose it for portability, lighter weight, better specs than the MBA, and the gorgeous retina screen. It is replacing the first-generation MBA and I'm quite comfortable with the 13" size. My 2012 iMac does the "heavy lifting" as far as providing capacity and ability to work on extensive projects, so the new machine will be idea for around the house and for travel. I also have iPads and they are the ones which leave the house with me or which I use in bed.