15" or 17" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seahawk09, Sep 26, 2007.

1. seahawk09 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I am switching over to digital photography after being a SLR person for so long. I will buying a Pentax K10D, I was wondering if it makes a difference If I buy the 15" or 17" Mac pro would like some insight on this when I buy my mac I would like to buy the best resolution possible and of course I will be buying the glossy screen.

Thanks in advance:)

Richard

2. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Let me just say that I have a 17 inch HP and I do not feel like bringing it anywhere except into another room due to the weight. The Macbook Pro is probably lighter, but if you are going to be lugging a notebook around often, go for the 15 inch.

3. richardson.hila macrumors member

Yeah i agree on the weights, 5.4 pounds for the 15inch and 6.8 for the 17inch. Pretty big difference and they're a b&^*& to lug around. My 15inch is portable but still a little heavy.

In regards to the glossy screen, have you seen it versus the matte? I agree that the glossy is a lot nicer, richer colours, more depth etc. but i find the reflection and obvious fingerprints so annoying. Just keep the lighting down to a minimum where you're using it and you'll be extremely happy ;) some users complain about the fact that the glossy screen over saturates images making it harder for accurate colour control. but i guess it's all subjective. good luck with your choice!

4. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Go with the 15" and get an external 22" or 23" ACD :)

5. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you have an external monitor at home and/or office, the 15.4" for sure. Great machine.

That said, can't really go wrong either way. :D

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I have the 17", and I take it everywhere. To and from work, friends' house...the weight doesn't bother me at all. I love it and highly recommend it.

7. mrgrieves macrumors newbie

I have to say it boggles my mind when people claim 1.4 lbs is a huge extra burden.

Seriously, do we have a bunch of anemic little girls posting on the forums?

8. cervaro macrumors regular

I bet if half the people bemoaning the extra weight of the 17" MBP dumped the extraneous rubbish they carry around with them most of the time, the extra weight would mean nothing at all. To those who've carried small children on their arm, the 17" MBP is a lightweight option!

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Glossy is going to **** up your color calibration. It oversaturates the colors. All pros use matte.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I have a 17" MBP and it's great....but it depends on how portable you want it to be. I love the screen realestate but I went to a conference and really didn't want to go carrying it around all day. It was almost too big to use off my lap because the chairs in the auditoriums were too close, though it doesn't weigh much, just size wise. Now if you want to use it off of a table and be able to move it around then it is perfect. If you need more portability get the 15".

I had a 15" powerbook and it was great and no hassle taking it to school everyday. I don't think I could do it with my 17" now.

11. JudgeDanny macrumors regular

apparently we do!! Myself excluded from that bunch!:p

12. richardson.hila macrumors member

I agree. You will definitely notice a difference in weight in regards to portability. But if that isn't an issue for you then go for the 17inch.

13. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

15 inch MATTE. Photography? If you are going to be printing, posting or switching mediums at all... please get matte... glossy is horrendous for callibration.

Anyway, go with the 15 inch and for the difference in price get a nice 21-23 inch external. a refurb ACD ofcourse would be really good for color as far as LCDs go... but if yo can't afford that try a nice dell (is it the ultra sharp that is the same panel as the ACD?) or ... next step, maybe a nice samsung or something.

Either way... 15inch plus LCD is the way to go.

14. Digital Fury macrumors member

Digital Fury

I would simply get the 15", save some cash and get an external screen, which is what I did. The 15" is easier to carry around size-wise and a bit more discrete.

The 17" might have a bigger screen, but my 27" is *much* bigger and better.

Now if Apple could bless us with a docking station, like everybody has been doing for decades now. :rolleyes:

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I have both 15" and 17", and given that the 15" is not exactly lightweight for a 15-incher (the overbuilt Dell Latitude D630 is the same weight) while the 17" is lightweight for a 17-incher, the 17" is not a huge difference if you're carrying the bag short distances (home-car-airport-car-hotel-site-etc). On an all-day portage though, you do really feel any extra weight - which is one of the reasons why I eschew Apple portables and opt for the Sony G / TZ or the Sony SZ / Dell XPS M1330 for mobile all-day working.

17" if you want to do most of your work on the move, 15" if you want to do most of your work at home/office.