15" or 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by f1d, Jun 15, 2009.

1. f1d macrumors member

Hi all,

I'd like your opinion on probably something that has been done to death! (I have searched to no avail though!).

I was all set, mind made up, to get a 17" MacBook - mainly because I wanted the best one and bigger is better.

However, now I'm starting to reconsider and possibly think 17" will be too big?

I already have a desktop (2 x 22", quad core etc etc) that I do programming, web design and image editing on... and really wanted a Mac laptop I could take into the lounge and have a play on it... or sit in bed and have a browse.

I'm starting to think 17" might be a bit too big for that, for sitting on my lap in front of the TV?

This is not mean't as a desktop replacement... purely as a "computer for other rooms in the house when I can't be bothered to sit at my desk".

What are your thoughts?

I also like how the 15" apparantly has the best screen so far, and a SD card slot?

Cheers guys!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Where did you search? The kitchen drawer?? (just kidding)
    Yes, there are multiple threads on this and you would be better off using MRoogle

From what you have posted... I would say the 15" is fine for you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. f1d thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the link :D

Hah, I used the forums built in search, but I must have used the wrong terms or phrased it wrong... either way I've found some threads using mroogle.

And that's what I'm now starting to think... 15"!

4. Batman101 macrumors member

Might not be what you are looking for, but what i want is SATA II, expresscard slot and blu-ray, so it would be 17 inch for me because the size might allow me to swap the superdrive into a blu-ray in the future.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you want a notebook to browse on, buy one of the 13" models. No need for a high-end Pro when it's a secondary machine.

That said, I'd take the 17" over the 15" any day of the week.

6. nicoritschel macrumors regular

1920x1200 is to die for. I love my 17" and could not give up the extra resolution

7. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

The footprint of the 17" is only about an inch wider/longer than the 15". Thickness-wise, the difference is negligible. If you can handle carrying around an extra pound(which you should have no problem doing if you're going to carry it around in a bag), definitely go for the 17". The screen itself is what sold me.

8. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

If you're using it for random browsing, email and while watching tv you can't go wrong with a 13".

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Anyone who tells you that there is any substantial difference between the 15 and 17 inch models in terms of portability is out of their minds. The 17 is about 1-inch longer and wider, and they are virtually the same thickness. The weight is roughly 1 lb more for the 17.

I simply cannot see how 1 lb and 1-inch on each side makes any substantial difference in portability. Maybe for girls, but no guy should have a problem with 1 lb.

I will agree that with the 17, you will have fewer options when it comes to cases and bags, and you will likely need to buy a new one if you have one that fits a 15.4 inch screen now.

You should note that there are other differences between the 15 and 17 that are more substantial. 3.0 vs. 1.5 gbit sata, sd card slot, and the anti-glare option come to mind.

10. f1d thread starter macrumors member

I've actually now decided I will infact get the 17" as I was thinking originally.

I don't have any bag at the moment, so would have to purchase one anyway... plus, by my calculations (and education discounts)... there would only be about £100 price difference in the top of the range 15" to the normal 17"... so I think I'll go 17".

Thanks for all your opinions everyone, they've really helped.