Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solarthecat

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Nottingham, UK
I have always used a powerbook as my main machine rather than a desktop - even though i work from home... and my upgrade to a 17" when they came out was fantastic.

I love the large screen and still would say it is very portable. I don't want to be tied to a desk even at home, so I work on my sofa, my dining room table, and mostly on my lap - even when in bed! And occasionally when I leave the house I will always take it with me.

I am now on my second 17" MBP. It recently went on holiday with me and has fitted easily into the room safe. It also fits in my small backpack. It fits (just) on an airplane tray table too, but you'll need to breath in if you want the screen open to a good angle, and a friend sitting next to you so you can put your drink on their table!

If you are using it on a small desk at college then there is definitely not any room for a cup of coffee. However, because of its size I love the fact that I can rest both my wrists on it when I am using on my lap. I work like this 10 hours a day at home, and I never use a mouse becuase the track pad is a great size.

Yes, the 17" is awesome. And it is definitely for me. In an ideal world I would want a smaller one for going abroad, but otherwise I would say its size is acceptable for client meetings, public travel, and general use around the country. My laptop never leaves my side as it has my whole life on it. I use it mainly for Photoshop editing, Web Design, Video Editing and DVD production.

When you see them side by side you will know which is best for you. You will either be wow'ed by the screen real estate, or put off by its monster size! Only you can make that decision.

I hope this helps.

Jan 30, 2006
If you are going to use FCP and Pro tools in college or out of your dorm/house then maybe you could consider the 17" over the 15". But if you are going to do that in your dorm/house then the 15" + external monitor is just much better.

When I see those 17" MBP at college I can only think about how BIG that thing is compared to my 13" MB.:) But I guess that a 15" is still a very good size for college.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.