15" or 17" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iToaster, Jun 29, 2007.

1. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yes, I know there are many of these threads already, but anyway... Tomorrow (6-30-07) I'm going to replace my BlackBook with a MBP from a brick 'n' mortar Apple store. I have enough to afford the HD 17" although my original idea was to get the top 15" (both glossy if possible, not sure about the HD 17"). Any thoughts on this? Oh, and just so you know, it won't leave my desk very often, but will occasionally, but I love every last drop of power (15 min more for a 15" than a 17" isn't that big a deal). But isn't the GPU a little more taxed in the 17" because of the screen size and will there be a noticeable performance hit because of it? Also, is there any sort of advantage to the 17" (aside from that extra USB port, I don't think so anymore). I'm leaning towards the 15", but if you can convince me otherwise...:D

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What will you be doing with it? That'll play a big factor in what people recommend.

3. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Oh, yes, forgot to tell what I'd use it for. I'd use it for general work and such, no gaming, but some 3D design/animation, as well as video editing via iMovie or FCE, plus some page designing (posters/fliers...). Nothing all too graphically intense, but I'm a future proofer so it's gotta be a 2.4 Ghz one.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What you could do is get the high end 15" and use the extra money for an external monitor, ViewSonic makes pretty good monitors.

5. Winterfell macrumors regular

Just do what "feels" right for you. I got a 15", because to me, the 17" just felt too large and too wide for me. But a lot of people really dig their 17" MBPs.

So, go to the Apple Store, and use them both, and get the one that "feels" right for you. You may find that you like the 17" very much. If you do, then it's probably right for you.

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I just bought a second hand 17" PB to test it out. All I can say, you can't go wrong if you buy it. Don't bother with the clutter of a second monitor and a laptop, all those cables? Yuck.

Get everything in the one machine and start from there, you said you're leaving it mostly on the desk so weight isn't an issue and I say get the 17" MBP.

Don't get the glossy screen, matt is better for colour accuracy.

7. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

If your a gamer, go for the 17inch Glossy screen, and if your a traveling person who needs to do things on the road, i would actually keep the blackbook. If you need both(working and playing on the road) and need to have power when docked, obviously go for the 15".

I would take the 15" over the 17" any day. I reccomend a matte screen if you are traveling, though.

8. iToaster thread starter macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, I got a 15" 2.4 Ghz glossy. Now that I see it on my desk, I realize that a 17" would have been a little too much. I love it so far, got all my info transferred over from the MB. I can tell I'll have it for a while... the power, the size, the design... it's all perfect :D :apple: :D

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Low-end 15" is currently the best value. Even if you upgrade to 7200rpm hard drive, it's still a bargain. The high-end version costs several hundreds more and the benefits are marginal.