15 or 17 MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthuds, Feb 28, 2008.

1. matthuds macrumors newbie

I have been thinking for a while and am still a little unsure whether to go for the 15 or 17 inch MBP? I am studying design and this will be my main computer outside of uni, i am just a little concerned about the portability and extra weight of the 17 inch.
    It would be great to hear some other opinions on this topic.
    Which would you go for?? Or how do you get on with a 15 or 17??

HELP!!!!!

Matt

2. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

In my experience the 17 was great for screen real estate but I found it was slightly too big to carry around everywhere. Also the keyboard being further back was a bit uncomfortable for me. Others have no problems with this, so to each his own I guess.

I would suggest a 15 and an external monitor, gives you the best of both worlds.

3. MLeepson macrumors 6502

My sister studies photography at college and she has a 15" MBP. If you need a lot of room to "spread out" -- go with the 17 incher.
    The 17" is 6.8 pounds and the 15" is 5.4 pounds. That's not a small difference.
    The MacBook Pro Tech Specs page neatly shows the difference between the 15 and the 17.

4. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

On paper, there doesn't seem to be a big difference in size. But, when you go and see them side by side, it's blatently obvious that the MBP 17" is MASSIVE.

I'd stick to the 15 inch if you're planning on carrying it with you everywhere. But, if you're keeping it at home, and occasionally taking it with you, maybe the 17" is a better choice.