15" or 17" refurb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhcpfan0, Aug 9, 2009.

1. rhcpfan0 macrumors newbie

I'm about to start my first year of college, and I plan to study graphic design. I've been needing a new computer for a while now, and I've been looking at refurbs. My question is, does the 17" superior screen resolution and longer battery life justify the higher price? Or is the 1400 x 900 resolution good enough? I plan on buying a HyperMac External Battery somewhere down the line.

Here's a link to the two models i have my eye on:

15": http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FC026LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

17": http://store.apple.com/us-hed/product/FB604LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

Thanks for all the help!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is an issue I think that only you can figure out. You will know if you need the battery life or if the screen resolution justifies the higher cost. For me, it would, I have gotten used to the 17-inch as default. You also have to consider the weight and footprint of the 17.

3. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I'm curious

What is the back story on your sig line? I've seen it around and it's got me curious.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i would go with the 15", simply because the 17" is just waaaay too big to lug around. if you're going to leave it just sitting on your desk all the time, the 17" would be fine. but in that case, i think one must ask him or herself if they really need a laptop.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Two threads on that in the past 48 hours:

6. rhcpfan0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help thegoldenmackid, I've read alot of threads on this issue, just didn't specifically answer one of my questions. You're a really good sport about this stuff too, cause I saw you gave a really helpful reply to everyone else that posts one of these threads. (Which is a lot, and I realize that!)

I think if I have the money by the time it comes time for the purchase I'll splurge on the 17", but if not, I'm perfectly fine with a 15"