15" or 17"???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DynoMike3000, Dec 28, 2010.

1. DynoMike3000 macrumors newbie

I am debating between MacBook Pros with Hi-res anti-glare screens. 17" or 15"?

I have a big 30" HD Apple display for when I am at home at my desk. The price difference isn't really a factor. How much will I really notice the difference in screen size and portability?

What's your 2 cents?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have the 17" with a 23" ACD and love it
    I don't find portability an issue, and I prefer the extra screen real estate

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's portability vs screen estate. Which is more important for you? Personally, I would get 15" because you already have 30" at home

4. DynoMike3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

portability, because I have the 30". Just wasn't sure if it was a noticeable difference in portability.

5. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I have the 17" and love it, but then I'm running apps like Indesign, Photoshop and Dreamweaver on it and it's not often connected to an external screen, so the extra screen real estate is REALLY useful.

It's a bit of a lump though - certainly less easily portable than the 15" (which is what I had before).

Personally I'm thinking of buying an 11" MacBook Air as a second more luggable machine for those occasions when I don't need the sheer power of the bigger machine, but ultimately it depends on how you use your computer

6. DynoMike3000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using it for Photoshop and After Effects. But I am guessing that most of my after effects work will be done at home with the big monitor attached. This is my version of your 11 Air, I have a tower at home too. I think you have convinced me to get the 15"

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have a large monitor, I don't see the reason why you'd want to buy the 17".

When traveling, the 15's screen real estate is enough for photoshop and stuff, and when you're home, you have the external monitor.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Ditto. It's what I do and I am a heavy Photoshop user, panorama, HDR's...