Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
anyone have any pics of a setup of a 15" powerbook plugged into a dell 2005fpw, or just some pics of a dell 2005fpw?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I should be picking my 2005FPW up from the couriers depot on Saturday morning. I can post some pictures for you if you like. What do you want to see?

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
prefferably a 15" powerbook, or a powermac, or anything else made by apple. Basically w/e you got. lol.... thanks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Rob587 said:
prefferably a 15" powerbook, or a powermac, or anything else made by apple. Basically w/e you got. lol.... thanks
There is a pic like this already in the post your imac g5 thread (in this forum), but it's a pretty dark image, so here's a better one in light :)

The screen is great :cool:

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
thanks edesignuk, thats much better.... id still be interested in see ur setup robbieduncan. thanks again

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
OK pictures up.

The display is superb. It's really bright, the colours are good, the response time seems good too. I like the fact that you get a DVI cable in the box (along with the normal 15 pin VGA cable). Watching videos full screen is perfect.

Now all I need is a VESA wall mount and my Mac mini to arrive...

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
robbieduncan said:
OK pictures up.

The display is superb. It's really bright, the colours are good, the response time seems good too. I like the fact that you get a DVI cable in the box (along with the normal 15 pin VGA cable). Watching videos full screen is perfect.

Now all I need is a VESA wall mount and my Mac mini to arrive...

It is a lovely display, nice pic's

I have an 17" TOPCON LCD monitor and it is also DVI but as I noticed on yours is it a USB hub as well :confused:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Platform said:
It is a lovely display, nice pic's

I have an 17" TOPCON LCD monitor and it is also DVI but as I noticed on yours is it a USB hub as well :confused:

Some screens have USB hubs, some don't. Apple ones have firewire hubs as well iirc. It doesn't run the USB over DVI though. You need to run a separate USB cable from your computer to the display as well as power and DVI.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
robbieduncan said:
Some screens have USB hubs, some don't. Apple ones have firewire hubs as well iirc. It doesn't run the USB over DVI though. You need to run a separate USB cable from your computer to the display as well as power and DVI.

Thanks
That is what I tought I saw

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
The 2005FPW is a cracking display, wouldn't hesitate to get one. It's a steal at the price and it compares to the Apple cinema displays quite easily (in my opinion anyway :)).

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I am looking at possibly upgrading my external display ( Samsung SyncMaster 170MP LCD) to a 20". With my educational discount, I can get the Apple one for $899. Even though the Dell is cheaper, I like the option of having more firewire ports. I have an external harddrive, my iPod and my iSight and it is a pain in the butt only have one on the computer. With the screen, I can leave the iSight always plugged in and then connect the harddrive and the ipod together. I was already considering a firewire hub, so the difference between the two displays (sorta) cancels out a bit. And the fact that I could get an Apple one makes it that much better. :)

shuurajou

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Bristol, England.
wwooden said:
I am looking at possibly upgrading my external display ( Samsung SyncMaster 170MP LCD) to a 20". With my educational discount, I can get the Apple one for $899. Even though the Dell is cheaper, I like the option of having more firewire ports. I have an external harddrive, my iPod and my iSight and it is a pain in the butt only have one on the computer. With the screen, I can leave the iSight always plugged in and then connect the harddrive and the ipod together. I was already considering a firewire hub, so the difference between the two displays (sorta) cancels out a bit. And the fact that I could get an Apple one makes it that much better. :)

As depressing as it is to say, seeing the apple cinema 20" and the 2005fpw next to each other - I feel the 2005fpw is a superior display, although not as sexy.

setup1.jpg

Yeah, I know that's an iMac G5 but the thing on the left is a 200fpw :).

romone0517

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2005
powerbook and the dell 2005fpw

does anybody know if you can operate the powerbook in close lid mode and use the dell 2005fpw? Basically, can you operate your powerbook without having it open and use the dell as the screen only?

I also wanted to know can you display 1680x1050 with a mac powerbook on the dell display?

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
romone0517 said:
does anybody know if you can operate the powerbook in close lid mode and use the dell 2005fpw? Basically, can you operate your powerbook without having it open and use the dell as the screen only?

I also wanted to know can you display 1680x1050 with a mac powerbook on the dell display?

yes

and yes

SonComet

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
Is it true that you can damage the screen of the powerbook by operating it closed lid on an external display. I heard that the heat could dmg it, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I also have the same question. Is that why ppl like dariuslatamus in the setup pics thread has his slightly open? or is it b/c it goes to sleep?

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I'm not sure what the actual operating temp of the G4 in my Powerbook is, but I noticed that the avg CPU temp was a good 10-15 degrees (F) cooler with the lid open.

That's why I leave mine open. The second display doesn't hurt, either. ;)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Apple certifies 15" and 17" PowerBooks for lid closed operation (not sure about the 12"). You obviously need an external keyboard and mouse to wake the sleeping machine up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.