15" PB - intermittent charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by semicharmed, Jul 21, 2008.

1. semicharmed macrumors regular

I have a 15" PB, 1.67Ghz. Recently, it's begun to only charge intermittently; when the ring on the adapter goes out, unplugging & replugging it in will start it charging again, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for 15 minutes. Occasionally, the light will go out and then come back on by itself, sometimes after a minute, sometimes after 15 minutes.
    When the light is out, my menu-bar indicator does says it's running from battery, so it's not just a problem with the light on the adapter.
    Resetting the PMU seemed to help, for a day, the laptop charged and stayed charged for the better part of two days, until I went to use it in the living room, came back, put the charger in, and again was only charging intermittently.
    Is there any way, save buying another adapter, to check whether it's the computer or the adapter? My Applecare just expired, so bringing it into an Apple store isn't an option & most of my Mac-owning friends are home for the summer or own MBs so there's no one to borrow from.

2. Snowbound macrumors regular

When I had a PB do this, it was a loose connection with the adapter. I could bend the cable from the power block the the computer in certain ways and it would always come back on, so I knew it was a faulty adapter. Also noteworthy, after I electric taped it in position so that it would keep charging, it worked for a couple of months but then started smoking.Once that happened, I bought a new adapter.

3. semicharmed thread starter macrumors regular

... I didn't even think to fiddle with the adapter's orientation. Which I should have done, since the ring just came on. And then went off. And came back on. I think it's time to start looking for a new adapter.