Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Hi,

This is my first post on in these forums. Am planning to switch. And need some advice from all the experienced users here.

As you can see from the title, I'm planning on getting one of the Powerbooks listed above. However, the question is which one to get. The bigger screen one or the more portable one?

Intended uses:
- Web design
- Graphics design
- Digital photography
- Word/Excel/Powerpoint
- Web browsing
- Video editing (in future)

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Isaak

DanTekGeek

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Denver, CO
i find the 17 kind of on the heavy side, but the extra real estate will really be of value for designing. definatly wait for the new ones to come out before you buy though.

i2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Thanks for the real quick reply.

Will definitely wait for the new revisions to be announced before buying.

And I might add that I'll be carrying the PB around daily for work purposes. But I suppose you'll have to have some trade-off if you want a bigger screen. Anyway, I think my current Windows laptop is about that weight, maybe a little lighter cos it's a 15" screen.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Ive been debating this question for over a year now myself since I have been planning on getting my powerbook this may/june. I have come to belive that If you can get your hands on a moniter that you are comfortable with, then go with the 15" and plug it in so that you have portability and space at home, but If you cant then get the 17" because you will end up craving screen space eventually.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
Will you ever be making presentations to clients with it? The 17" is quite the showpiece if you do. Not only will your work be easier to see, you'll leave that much stronger an impression, IMHO.

Heck, I think Apple should make a 20" version and call it the PowerBook Portfolio™ for on-the-go film/video editors, graphic designers, and music recording/mixing engineers. I'd save my pennies up for one.

i2k

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Hmmm ... most probably. Yah, will definitely be very impressive. Think just taking the PB out of the bag will be impressive on its own. :)

JonoColesUK

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2005
London UK
I would have to agree

get the 15 inch

perfect balance of power and portability

(oh god i sound like an apple add)

if you want more real estate just get a display for at home.

Cheers

Jono

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
I myself have a 17" PB, i used 15" for a few months and they are both great laptops. I play games on my 17" thats why i got that but if i did not game on it then i would go with the 12" or 15". In your case i saw go for the 15"

ephex

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2004
USA
yeah, if you're going to be carrying it around don't go with 17". 15" is beautiful though.

see for yourself if you can, there's nothing like going to an apple store and being able to see the powerbooks and their screens, compare resolutions, wieght, size, etc :D

acceber

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I would recommend the 15" absolutely. I find the 17" way too big and would definitely not want to be carrying it around for two reasons - expensive, and heavy.

I would only go for the 17" if I was going to use it as a desktop replacement.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
17" is a good desktop replacement. that is you want to keep it on your desk 95% of the time and the rest of the time you might move it 2 feet from your desk so you have a little extra room to work. but if you want to cary it around and travel with it (too work or such) on a daily basis then go for the 15" just load it up with RAM, the better hard drive and the better video card. and if you really need it then you can buy an external monitor later for the added screen space!

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada

100% go for the 15" plus an external monitor for wherever you'll be using it most. The 17" is just too big, especially to be carrying around every day. Don't get me wrong, the 17" is beautiful, but there is basically no performance advantage to going that route, and the 15" is just fine to carry around on a regular basis. Wouldn't want much heavier, especially if you're carrying anything else with it.

Enjoy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.