Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
Ok, hope those considering a 15" PB 1.5 will find this helpful. I wanted to wait til I was able to test it out a little to give a full report.

PB rev C 15" 1.5 mhz, 1 Gb RAM, 5400 rpm, 128 vram, 9600 graphix card.

Right out of the box it was perfectly built, no dead pixels, no warp or malfunction. I found it odd that the latch doesn't seem to close securely when I shut it but was assured that this was normal and the "play" between the two halves as well as the tiny space betw. was designed so that the keyboard doesn't bump the screen.

The screen is beautiful, bright and a pleasure to work with. I'm getting a 20" monitor as soon as this whole display thing shakes out b/c I want to edit video, and the PB use two monitiors or one in clamshell mode.

I am also using the BT mouse and kbd which work wonderfully.

Speed: It is a whole new world from my old Pismo, which I could eat lunch while it booted up. apps spring open in a second. It still takes a few more seconds to boot up on restart than I expected, but I guess there is an awful lot it has to do.

I have not yet maxed out its capabilities editing and capturing with FCP 4. I will report as soon as I do.

Xbench score: 135

(note, the score was much lower (108) until I took someone's advice at Xbench and switched my energy saver prefs to "optimal". Anyone know why this makes such a HUGE difference?) . Also, benchmark was not out of box but after I'd already thrown a lot of messy SW on it and downloaded tons of stuff.

Size:
I took it for a walk for the first time today. It didn't fit into my Manhattan Portage messenger bag as well as my pismo, but it just fit. It didn't seem particularly heavy. I was working in a cafe, I noted that it seemed a tad "bigger" , i.e. wider, than I was used to. Kind of like a mobile desktop? That actually began to seem cool after a few minutes, made it easier to focus on what I was doing, I could actually lean my elbows on the sides
:) and it didn't seem incongruous or ungainly.

WiFi: My pismo got more bars, which is wierd. But though the signal doesn't seem as strong in my home (1 room away from router) I've never had a problem with it crapping out.

Hope this helps. I love it, it's exactly what I needed (I hope to get a G5 dp to make video stuff go faster, but I feel this is totally sufficient and works as a desktop replacement as well as a portable machine, so I'm in no hurry)

sorry, no pictures, it looks just like all the other ones

;)

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Ooooh, may I ask which Manhattan Portage bag you have? :)

I need a new Manhattan Portage bag ... my new PB doesn't fit in mine too well, either

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
mac_gal said:
Ooooh, may I ask which Manhattan Portage bag you have? :)

I need a new Manhattan Portage bag ... my new PB doesn't fit in mine too well, either

Sure, it's the 1427 plain ol DJ bag.
http://www.manhattanportage.com/product_details.asp?product=1427
The size was perfect for my pismo (14") as if it were made for it (though it's 11" across, the 4 inch sides would expand to fit), plus mouse, powersupply, notebook/papers, etc. The new PB fits fine side-to-side but when the flap is over it, the sides are exposed (the flap isn't wide enough to cover it). This kind of bag probably isn't the best for them, as it has no padding, but I don't exactly hike the andes with it so it works fine locally and I hate "laptop" bags.

OziMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
I can second your experiences furrina, with a couple of differences-

My keyboard had sticky L,K, M and ',' keys which made a thudding noise quite distinct from the soft patter the other keys made when depressed. It is being repaired as we speak.

I found battery life hitting just over 3:30 for conservative use (screen brightness at 3-5 bars, bluetooth off, airport on, lowest power settings and some DVD and music playback), and over 2 hours for DVD playback - enough at least to watch one-disc DVDs that aren't excessively long.

Airport has varied - sometimes its been phenomenal sometimes less so. I think it's probably more to do with my router though, which has been of variable consistency.

My XBench score out of the box was also 134/135 - so I don't think all the extra clutter would make too much difference.

Generally such an awesome machine - after three 12"s, I couldn't believe the benefits of the extra space. Makes working on design and video projects so much easier...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.