15" Penryn MBP... 5500mAh or 5600mAh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cmm26red, Mar 27, 2008.

1. cmm26red macrumors regular

I have been running "MiniBattery Logger" since I purchased my 2.5 Penryn MBP last month. After checking out the shared data from other users, I noticed the 15" models have two battery capcities, 5500 or 5600 mAh. Does anybody know why Apple put two different batteries in the same model. Also, I noticed the 5500 versions are made by SMP and the 5600 is a Sony.

http://burgos.emeraldion.it/mbl/list/MacBookPro4,1

2. cmm26red thread starter macrumors regular

Am I just loosing my mind, or is there in fact two different versions of the 15" MBP battery? The only reason I am bringing this up is because I have heard that past MBP batteries have been less then perfect, as evidenced by there 3 star rating on apple.com. I am wondering if the Sony batteries are any better in life cycles compared to the apple ones.

p.s. I am sporting the 5500:(

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

1.) It's analog, there will always be some variation.
    2.) Where do you get this info from? In System Profiler I don't see anything related to this (I have SMP). I only see the full charge capacity on mine at 5297 mAH. Guess I have the super small version. :)
    3.) Don't stress it. The difference between 5500 and 5600 is small enough that in a year you won't be able to tell the difference due to battery wear. :D