15" Post-WWDC MacBook Pro Screens

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kyleh206, Jun 16, 2009.

1. kyleh206 macrumors newbie

What is the difference between the 9C83 and 9C84 screens? My friend and I bought the exact same Macbook Pro (base 15") and got two different screens. Thanks for any help.

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Sorry there is no 9C83 screen. Before WWDC there were the 9C84 and 9C85 screens. Very similar but different manufacturers. After WWDC the only 15" screen reported so far is 9CA3. This screen is made by LG and is supposed to offer 60% increased gamut. What that means is it effectively can display a wider range of colors for maintaining better color accuracy. Unless you are into photography you probably won't notice much difference between the screen.

3. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I had a new model with the 60% increase gamut and switched to the previous model, and I can't tell a bit of a difference. If anything the newer screen seemed a bit washed out. However I am not into photography and am a little color blind so take that for what it's worth (probably a lot when dealing with color accuracy)

4. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Many of the MBP screens look a little washed out with the stock color profile. But if you color calibrate the screen with one of the hardware packages available it's greatly improved.

5. kyleh206 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry i meant 9CA3. However, my friend ordered the exact same 15" MacBook Pro the day after WWDC and got a 9C84 screen.

6. islandman macrumors 6502

Where do you determine which screen you have? Pardon my ignorance in this one. I just got my MBP yesterday.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm wondering the same thing

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

This is in many many threads here (that's why newbies usually get pummeled with the learn how to search responses).

Open System Preferences, select Display module, select color tab, select the color LCD profile (likely already selected) and click the open profile button. Scroll down to the line labeled 13 and in the panel below you can see the model number.

9. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Launch up the application "ColorSync Utility" and press the "Devices" icon. Expand the "Displays" section and select "Color LCD". Press "Open" on the Factory Profile and then go down to the row with the tag/data 'mmod'

There you can find the model number.

10. kyleh206 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the mix up but it turns out his is a 9CA4 while mine is a 9CA3.

11. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Really? This is the first report I've heard of a new screen that isn't a 9CA3.

See if he can run the following command in the terminal app:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

The output would allow to see who makes this screen.

12. The510Kid macrumors member

I just upgraded to the MBP in my sig from the original Aluminum MBP 2.4GHZ..... i can see a difference in the production of colors, specifically red and green. Then again, i am a bit of a geek who would notice little things other normal, well adjusted people wouldnt.

13. kyleh206 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i did confirm his is a 9CA4. I'll check with him about that script.