Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric-C

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
The release of the 15" this week would make such a great birthday present! (for me of course) Although next week's ok too...

I've read as much as I can on this release speculation. Does anyone still think that these rumors are wishful thinking? It appears there is at least a minority of people who think it will be out in the summer.

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
I really hope they hurry up on this.

Amazon.com currently has a promotion offering a $200 credit towards your next purchase (would really help in getting the OS X versions of the PC software I use) which expires on March 1st.

I like the features of the 17", but would probably prefer those same features in the 15"...mainly due to price.

I guess if I don't hear anything by the end of February, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on a 17"...but I also hope that my local stores get some in before then so I can take a look at them in person.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
Given the amount of updating that Apple has been doing I wouldn't be suprised. That would add a nice icing to the cake for th powerbook lines...and I hope that the pricing will reflect Apples current strategy of lowering prices.

Now what to get, 17inch or 15inch pb? I can only dream...

:)

Eric-C

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2003
Originally posted by Pablo
Amazon.com currently has a promotion offering a $200 credit towards your next purchase (would really help in getting the OS X versions of the PC software I use) which expires on March 1st.
[/B]

Couldn't you just buy the software now and buy the powerbook later? I assume the software should be compatible with both powerbooks.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
man, thank god they said end of february. those aspecific rumor time frames really have been getting SO annoying.

i am forecasting iPods tomorrow and Tibooks next tuesday for a 5 week streak. anyone want to guess what's after that for 6 weeks? ;)

They need to update the iBooks, and then we can say that they switched out their entire line of products in a matter of less than 2 months. that would be one heck of an accomplishment for apple.

I think you'll still be able to get Tibooks from apple after this, even if they do come out with a 15 inch albook. That whole OS 9 thing... still awhile till june or whenever they are "really really" pulling the plug.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
what is the point of a 15.4 inch powerbook??? is it just a bigger screen or is the whole powerbook going to be .2 inches bigger? i mean if they didn't make the whole power book bigger and just the screen that would be cool...but i thought there was not enough room. i guess i don't think its taht big a deal for a .2 inch change

DHagan4755

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
CompUSA's online store has the following shipping estimates:

iBook 700 - 2 to 4 weeks
iBook 800 12" - 3 to 6 days
iBook 800 14" - 2 to 4 weeks
PBG4 867 12" - 48 Hours
TiBook 867 - 2 to 4 weeks
TiBook 1GHz - 2 to 4 weeks
PBG4 1GHz 17" - Pre-Order

I don't know if this is telling or not, but if the new 12" PowerBook is shipping in 48 hours...and the 4-month old Titaniums in 2 to 4 weeks..that says something to me.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by howard
what is the point of a 15.4 inch powerbook??? is it just a bigger screen or is the whole powerbook going to be .2 inches bigger? i mean if they didn't make the whole power book bigger and just the screen that would be cool...but i thought there was not enough room. i guess i don't think its taht big a deal for a .2 inch change

they aren't updating for the sake of .2 inches. they are, if they do this, changing the aspect ratio from 3:2 to 16:10, like the 1440*900 17 inch powerbook, for consistency across the lines. problem is, in doing so, it looks like they are going to cut 7-8% on the actual resolution.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by DHagan4755
CompUSA's online store has the following shipping estimates:

iBook 700 - 2 to 4 weeks
iBook 800 12" - 3 to 6 days
iBook 800 14" - 2 to 4 weeks
PBG4 867 12" - 48 Hours
TiBook 867 - 2 to 4 weeks
TiBook 1GHz - 2 to 4 weeks
PBG4 1GHz 17" - Pre-Order

I don't know if this is telling or not, but if the new 12" PowerBook is shipping in 48 hours...and the 4-month old Titaniums in 2 to 4 weeks..that says something to me.

by that logic, though, they're coming out with new 14 inch iBooks too. i think compUSA is just being pathetically out of stock.

A

AhmedFaisal

Radeon 9000 please!!!

I sure hope Apple spares the 15.4" from the dumb idea of putting NVIDIA chips in. I want the Radeon 9000, the NVIDIAs in the desktops are already lameass, we don't need that in the Powerbook. And also I hope we keep the DVI and L3 Cache. The ratings of the 12" for non Altivec Applications compared to the fastest iBooks are horrible!

Ahmed

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Radeon 9000 please!!!

Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
I sure hope Apple spares the 15.4" from the dumb idea of putting NVIDIA chips in. I want the Radeon 9000, the NVIDIAs in the desktops are already lameass, we don't need that in the Powerbook. And also I hope we keep the DVI and L3 Cache. The ratings of the 12" for non Altivec Applications compared to the fastest iBooks are horrible!

Ahmed

The Geforce 4Go 460 is currently the fastest processor on the mobile video market; however, apple did not put this im the now Powerbook 17 inch, for unexplained reasons. I think you will see all the same hardware specs on the current 15 inch tibook, plus, say, DDR, probably a regression to an nVidia card, and then AE and FW2.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
I sure hope they are making a lot of them, because the hype surrounding these things are going to sell them out FAST.

A

AhmedFaisal

Re: Re: Radeon 9000 please!!!

Originally posted by Shadowfax
The Geforce 4Go 460 is currently the fastest processor on the mobile video market; however, apple did not put this im the now Powerbook 17 inch, for unexplained reasons. I think you will see all the same hardware specs on the current 15 inch tibook, plus, say, DDR, probably a regression to an nVidia card, and then AE and FW2.

The problem is that the driver support from NVIDIA sucks even more than that from ATi. Macwelt recently compared the available NVIDIA cards for the desktop Mac with the Radeons. The Radeon 8500 was faster than any NVIDIA chip available. Especially when it came to OpenGL and simple stuff such as Quartz Extreme the NVIDIAs showed a serious lag behind the two top ATis. I have doubts it will be any different in the Laptops. What is even more a bother is the performance of the 12" Powerbook. In non Altivec enhanced Apps it was actually slower than the fastest iBook and even in Graphics it couldn't outdistance the iBook with its 7500 Radeon. The fact that it doesn't have a DVI adds to the question why one should spend so much more money for a laptop that isn't faster overall. The 12" definitely needs a revision soon. I also hope to see the ratings for the 17" compared to the old 15" soon to see if this one at least performs better than its predecessor.
Cheers,

Ahmed

Pablo

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2003
Texas
Originally posted by Eric-C
Couldn't you just buy the software now and buy the powerbook later? I assume the software should be compatible with both powerbooks.

Yes, but then that would bring my total out of pocket expense to the retail price of the PowerBook, plus the retail price of the software.

If I take advantage of Amazon.com's promotion, if I buy either PowerBook (17" or 15"), I would get an extra $200 'free' to spend on that software, thereby making my total out of pocket expense up to $200 less.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Hey Shaddow, the 15.1 is a 16:10 ratio, not 3:2

What ya thinking there man ;)

no.
current tibook - 1280/854 (pixels) = 3/2 (almost)
anticipated new alubook - 1280/800 (pixels) = 16/10

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
opinions please.

does anyone agree with me, that the next pb revision would be a "major" revision?

it is basically the powerbook that we all want.

- it runs cooler (with the AL case)

- still around an inch thick

- ae

- better placing of the airport antenna

- superdrive

- hopefully same price or lower

- fw800

the only thing that is missing is that proc they keep calling the g5.

;)

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by MacFan25
I wonder how much a 15" AlBook is going to cost. Anyone have a clue?
I suspect the same to $100 (US) more for configs similar to the ones on the Apple Store.

Especially if they add the backlight for the keyboard.

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
The Radeon 9000 IS better than the GeForce 4 460, which was not used because it uses external VRam (instead of onboard), which takes up more space. The ONLY mobile card in existence currently that MIGHT beat the Radeon 9000 is the GeForce4 4200 Go, but Apple won't put that in their mid-range PowerBooks because they would want the 17" to have the best.

A

AhmedFaisal

Originally posted by redAPPLE
opinions please.

does anyone agree with me, that the next pb revision would be a "major" revision?

it is basically the powerbook that we all want.

- it runs cooler (with the AL case)

- still around an inch thick

- ae

- better placing of the airport antenna

- superdrive

- hopefully same price or lower

- fw800

the only thing that is missing is that proc they keep calling the g5.

;)

Yep, very much so. However I would already be happy with one of those PPC 7457 G4s Motorola announced since they dissipate way less heat than the current ones. Also the beefed up L2 will be nice. Personally I don't really care for the Superdrive since the lag of burning speed in the laptops, I would go for the combo drives with 24x R/RW rather than the Superdrive. Illuminated Keyboard, thats what I would like to see and that they keep the Radeon (I'll make that my ceterum censeo ;) hehe). Also a lid or some kind of cover for the connectivity ports would be nice, this is one thing I miss in the new powerbooks. We also need HDs with bigger cache, the new Toshiba with 16MB comes to mind or at least the Travelstar with 8MB.
Cheers,

Ahmed

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Historically though, how accurate has Spymac been? :)
I'll wait for Arn to comfirm this rumor, then I'll believe it. So how about it Arn, hear this from any of your sources?

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
Sometimes it feels like being Tantalus...

Sometimes, the anticipation for these products is like being taunted. Ah, cruel mistress (INNOVATIVE-APPLE-PRODUCTS), how cruel, cruel cruel... to be so close but yet so far...

Give me a 17" or a 15" Alu PB anyday. Heck, I'll take both! Just hurry up, already!

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.