15" Powerbook G4 Black Screen with Error Message

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sophie1977, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sophie1977 macrumors newbie

This happened literally overnight a few months ago, and I'm finally getting around to assessing the problem.

This is a 15" Powerbook G4 Model # A1095

I turned it on one morning, and a black screen appears with the following message:

Apr 1 03:19:57 launchd: can't exec /bin/sh for single user: No such file or directory

I have the Software Install Restore Discs 1 & 2.

When I insert Disc 1, I hold down the C key, and the info pops up beautifully. I get really happy at this point. The steps it shows me are as follows:

Introduction
    Read Me
    License
    Select Destination
    Installation

I am able to get up to the "Select Destination" portion, where it asks me to "Select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software"

However, there is nothing listed, so I cannot move on to the next step. :mad:

Any ideas on what I can do?

Thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Can you access the drive via target disk mode from another mac?

Try running disk utility from your installation DVD. Does your drive show up on the left side? If so, try Repair Disk and then try the install again. If it didn't show up, you've got a dead HD. Put your ear to the palmrest to the left of the trackpad and boot the computer. If you hear clicks and whirring, then the HD is dead.

3. sophie1977 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the repair disc option. It does show the name of my HD, but it's not It tried to repair at first, but then gave me an error message. When I rebooted, I do hear some whirling and clicks, but mostly a low overall humming noise, and a flashing question mark and globe icon appear before the error message now. I guess the HD is out on this one.

Also, I have another Powerbook, it's a 17" G4, and it actually goes through the whole set up from the restore disc, but when it's all over, all I get is the blue screen, without any icons. Do you think this HD is dead too?

4. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Listen to the HD. "click, click, bzzzzz" is the death rattle.