15" PowerBook G4 GPU Thermal Pad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Altemose, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I was given a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 that runs on the hot side and also has a loose hinge on the right side. I am going to repaste the CPU and in the process also remove the display and tighten the hinge. When taking apart my 1.5 GHz PB I realized the GPU uses a type of thermal compound I have never seen. It looks like a pad's thickness but in the shape of an X. I left it alone and reassembled the Mac without issues with GPU heat.

That being said, this one always ran hotter than the 1.5 no matter what. I know the paste and pad is on its way out. My question is, what do I put on the GPU? For the CPU I am using Arctic Silver Ceramique 2.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm not sure of what type of thing you have going here. But I will just say that when I put my logicboard in recently, I used AS5 on all three chips. Heat hasn't changed much from what I was experiencing with the old board.

Don't expect much of a change here either. The 1.67 puts out a lot of heat.

3. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I know about the heat but this "material" on the GPU looked really thick to be paste but I have never seen a pad in the X format. I wonder what the Apple Service book would say on this. I don't want to risk burning out my GPU.

4. sarthak macrumors 6502

Would be helpful if you can share some pics.

I've seen regular "square" thermal pads which end up burnt with a hole in the center over ~5 years. Never seen a cross pattern pad.

5. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

When I take the machine apart I will take a picture. I have to remove the whole display assembly so the Logic Board is coming off anyway.

[​IMG]