15" PowerBook keeps going to sleep!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NeilHK, May 16, 2007.

1. NeilHK macrumors newbie

For the past 3 days my 2 year old G4PowerBook keeps going into sleep mode.

Every 15 secs it does it. I tap the space bar and up it comes again only to sleep almost immediately.

I did a search here and found a few possible solutions:

Reset PMU
    Reset PRAM
    Delete plist file.

I did all of these things and no difference.

My Apple reseller here in HK suggested I create a new user account and see if it still happens. It is heaps better but still sleeps.

Last night I managed to get 30 mins use before it went to sleep again but found a curious thing happening.

None of my desktop icons will work.

Click the Hard Drive....nothing.
    Click on any other desktop file.....nothing.

The contents is still there because I tried via Spotlight and it opens them......is it something to do with the PMU/PRAM reset?

Help...................going crazy and don't really want to send to the doctor just yet.

Can anyone advise??

Thanks in advance.

Neil

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have a friend with a similar machine? If so, swap the batteries and see if the problem continues. It kinda sounds like a dodgy cell to me.

3. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Schroedinger

There was also a problem with the temp sensors in the trackpads of powerbooks giving false overheat signals. You could either download Temperature Monitor and keep an eye on the sensor (which will jump around randomly if broken) or you can check your system log file to see if it is recording overheat signals. If that's the case you'll need to have your topcase(?) replaced.

Good luck.