Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Hey all. I have now seen a few of the new 15" powerbooks and I can't help but think the screens seem dimmer than before... is this just me or are others feeling this way too. Maybe the two I saw are just bad?...

Aliquis

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
Utah
Was the brightness turned down on them? And was it set to auto dim?
I'd like to know as I'm looking into getting one soon.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Aliquis said:
Was the brightness turned down on them? And was it set to auto dim?
I'd like to know as I'm looking into getting one soon.

Brightness was all the way up and auto adjust via the light sensor was disabled. I was rather taken back by this. I just called Apple to speak with a tech for a general question and he said they should be brighter and those units likey have a problem. I was curious if anyone else noticed this or if owners of the new 15" find them brighter than their old 15" models...? Keep the comments coming!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Chrispy said:
Brightness was all the way up and auto adjust via the light sensor was disabled. I was rather taken back by this. I just called Apple to speak with a tech for a general question and he said they should be brighter and those units likey have a problem. I was curious if anyone else noticed this or if owners of the new 15" find them brighter than their old 15" models...? Keep the comments coming!

Where were you that you were looking at the new 15"? Apple Store? CompUSA? Is it possible that the model on display was the previous 1.67MHz model?

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Squonk said:
Where were you that you were looking at the new 15"? Apple Store? CompUSA? Is it possible that the model on display was the previous 1.67MHz model?

One of them I owned and returned for the issue and the second was from a friend of mine from work.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Well I went into the Apple Store near Chicago and everyone in the store, including the genius, said all the powerbook 15" models had that problem but it was still within normal operating parameters. Normal parameters my a$$! When paying that much for a computer the screen should be bright and beautiful! They did take it back free of restocking fees but made it clear it would just be resold as no fault found. So, someone else will get my returned PowerBook with dim screen and lines... sorry for that person.

Aliquis

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2004
Utah
are you serious? Has anyone else noticed this going on? I just put my 15" 1.25Ghz powerbook up for sale here because I want to get one of the new machines, but this is very disconcerting.

Anyone who has more info, please post.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Aliquis said:
are you serious? Has anyone else noticed this going on? I just put my 15" 1.25Ghz powerbook up for sale here because I want to get one of the new machines, but this is very disconcerting.

Anyone who has more info, please post.

Maybe I'm crazy but I really think they are dimmer. However, the 17" screen was simply amazing! There just seems to be a lot of problems with current 15" powerbook so I may avoid that for now. It may be software related but I would want to be sure before making the purchase.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
khisayruou said:
I second that your crazy! :D They are brighter! :D

I very well may be. I think it may come down to the fact that the screen are more uniform in their level of brightness now. I know when I had my 15" it was really bright when turned up all the way but a friend of mine who had one didn't get nearly the brightness I got. Then, when I got my 12", the brightness on that one blew away my ex-girlfriend's 12" powerbook too haha. Perhaps I got spoiled :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok, can someone tell me does the new powerbooks have to have their memory paired?

Crucial claim that you can only put in dual configuarations (i.e 2x 512 or 2x1gig)

I wanted to just buy 1 gig and add it to the 512 already installed. Therefore have 1.5 is this possible anyone? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.