15" previous-gen VS the new 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gibbomac12, Jun 20, 2009.

1. gibbomac12 macrumors newbie

Hi. Im new to the forum. I need some advice for a important decision. I have a choice of the previous-gen 2.66gz 15" MBP VS the New 2.66 15" MBP.

Here are the SPECS:
    Previous-gen: 15" 2.66/4gb/320gb/9400m+9600mgt "512MB" w/ExpressCard

New-gen: 15" 2.66/4gb/500gb/9400m+9600mgt "256MB" w/ SD slot

The reason i am thinking of buying the OLD one is that it has SATA2 3.0gigs speed (FOR FUTURE SSD) + Also a 512MB 9600MGT over the 256MB version GPU, and is cheaper (a deal) than the new one.

1. What is the difference between the 2 "discrete" 9600mGT cards (256MB VS 512MB).....Is it much improvement? (I think it will be for Snow Leopard).
    2. How much better or good is the NEW 7-hour battery compared to the Previous gen model?

The battery may be a deciding factor. I heard the new one can go for 7-8 hrs on the 15". I think its a bout 4.5hrs on the old one?

Anyway this is going to be my 1st Laptop and 1st :apple:, so please assist me! THANKS in advance :)

2. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I'm eying a refurbished (15") MacBook Pro 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

$1699:
    15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB DDR3 memory
    512MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Illuminated keyboard

3. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

My issue is the 4GB ram limitation, which eliminates future expandability.

4. buckeye17 macrumors member

I'd probably get the $1449 2.53 Ghz model. It seems the only difference between the two is the processor, which isn't worth $250.

Also, someone said the old ones could use 6gb? I'm not sure.

5. dcdude macrumors member

Just ordered this, didn't know/there wasn't a 2.53 model when I ordered, but I'll post impressions when I get it.

6. buckeye17 macrumors member

This is the one I'm talking about:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB471LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

7. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

is everything new on those refurbrished macs? are the keyboards used and etc? :confused:

8. buckeye17 macrumors member

I believe everything is new. From what I gather, everyone that has purchased from the refurb store says their item looks new.

My guess is with the previous generation unibodies they have for sale, a decent amount of them are in fact new.

9. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

I strongly advise against ordering any MBP with the faulty nvidia graphics card. I can't believe Apple are even allowed to continue selling t5hem, especially at these prices. I think you should either get a Unibody or the earlier gen with ATI graphics.

10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

what are you smoking? previous MBP as in previous alum mbp! did you even bother reading or clicking on the links?

...no.

11. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Oops, right you are!

12. gibbomac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. gibbomac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I had a similar question last week...went for the previous gen. The screens on the new ones aren't THAT much better and personally i'd rather have a removable battery than a sealed one since i could just buy a new battery and pop it in without having to ship the entire thing back and be laptop-less. Also with the 9400m the battery life on the prev gen is not that bad to be honest

Also, the expresscard slot is more versatile than the SD card slot regardless of what Apple says. Then there's double the GPU VRAM which would come in handy for graphical apps, gaming and driving external displays etc. Also the processor is a superior model T series model with 6mb of L2 cache which further improves overall performance.

Finally SATA II as opposed to SATA I, more future proof for high-end SSDs. All these at a cheaper price...its a no-brainer really

Contrary to popular belief...just because its newer doesn't mean its better overall

15. gibbomac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

True. I didn't know about that L2 Cache thing. Anyway i read about expressCard last night on the net and it is pretty good, as u said. Now my only worry is battery life. Does anyone have any statistics or comparisons between the 2 MBPs battery life?

I read that the new model on LOW mode can have 7-8hrs. I think i read somewhere that the previous 15' had around 4.5 hrs. I guess i might have to buy it and find out; i could return it within 2 weeks right?

16. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

17. o2xygen macrumors regular

its pretty obvious to me the specs speak for themselves. This question did not need asking twice.

18. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

Opinions?

19. CarcinogenX macrumors member

I went through the the same scenario and bought a used "old" model, and could not be happier.

I have yet to use the dedicated video card so I cannot speak for it. For the light/med graphics work, plus Netflix streaming and DVD viewing, the on board video is flawless. The dedicated 9600M GT only shows itself with gaming and very intensive video work for the most part and there is really no need for it in most circumstances.

Quick points:

#1...My battery lasts longer than me.
    #2 Intel processors like higher cache, so 6mb is a much better performer.
    #3 in 2009 Express slot=SD slot. That is irrelevant. For the most part, anything can be connected to anything at a cheap price.
    #4 256mb DDR3 vs. 512MB DDR3 is mostly irrelevant. Again, if you game or are into HARDCORE video work, it matters, otherwise, you will never ever use it.

IMHO, the biggest difference between the new Mid-2009 and Early-2009 macs is the A) the battery life, and B) the processor cache.
    With the old 2009, you get 5 hours of productivity (with replaceable battery) no problem and get the added 6mb L2 cache that makes much more difference in "real world" performance.
    With the newer model, you get more battery life at the cost of actual productivity.

I would assume the new MBP's offer SataII 3GPS speeds, but if they don't, do not buy one. The biggest bottleneck of a laptop is the HDD, so SSD will be useless if you cannot get SATAII speeds.

20. CarcinogenX macrumors member

Since Apple laptop CPU's are not upgradable, get the best processor you can afford. Next might be the GPU since it is not upgradable either, but the 9400M is more than enough for most people.
    Both the Early 2009 and the Mid 2009 15" MBP's allow for 8gb or RAM, which his more than you would need for a long time to come.

Either configuration is better than anything the PC world has to offer, so either way, you will have a kick ass laptop for years to come!!

21. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I disagree with this statement:

$1149:
    HP Pavilion dv7-2040us
    # Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz
    # Screen: 17.3"
    # Memory Size: 4GB DDR2
    # Hard Disk: 500GB
    # Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi
    # 1GB (dedicated) ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
    Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834147985

I'd also get a free upgrade to Windows 7 as well, come October.

22. seb-opp macrumors 6502

That issue was fixed with a firmware upgrade.

23. CarcinogenX macrumors member

The best product HP has to compete with a mac is the HDX16T and even that model is a complete fail in comparison. Almost bought one too, but I came around in the end.

Disagree all you want to; The DV7 is very outdated along with the DV4 and not even remotely close to any Apple product. If it was, I would have bought it. I could write a 4 page response comparing the two and explaining every deficiency in detail, but why bother explaining why a Ford Pinto is not a Porsche?

If you are only checking email on the road, then hell yeah, buy a $300 netbook, but if you want to really use a laptop for something like a desktop replacement, Apple makes the best product for the money.

HP is going to release newer versions before the holiday season and they should be be more up to par, but I could not wait that long. Dell and Asus have the best mainstream PC options for now, but are still seriously lagging behind Apple.

So before you fire off a reply, first find a PC laptop that is less than one inch thick with a 5+ hour battery life, then you and I can compare the price and performance of the Acer Timeline, Dell Adamo, and 14Z to an Apple product. Easiest comparison in history.

Oh wait, only the 14z has backlit keyboard, so there is only one PC laptop that compares to Apple. But damn...it has no optical drive and only has 2gb of dual channel ram, and shoot, no multi touch trackpad or dedicated GPU like a MAC. Dell wireless card instead of a real Intel draft N card. Oh geez, and in the PC world, battery time is based on wireless/bluetooth off, and only typing in Notepad I guess??
    Seriously, why even bother? I mean it too, WHY EVEN BOTHER??

Whoops!! Forgot we are comparing a 15.4" Apple notebook to a smaller 14" Dell model. Yeah, I'm sure PC's totally kick ass and all in your world, but here in reality we are just not seeing it.

24. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yet people are having drive performance issues as a result of said firmware