15" pro retina advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlackNBlue72, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BlackNBlue72 macrumors newbie

Hello first post here, I have a sad question for you all. I have a 15" Macbook Pro Retina Display which I have spilled tea on. Got the usual run through at the apple store where they quoted me the cost of a new computer to fix it.

I can't figure out what I want to do with the thing and would like your advice. Didn't do much special after I spilled the tea except put it in a bag of rice. It had been sitting for a month or so before I finally attempted to power it on again. The good news is that it powers up just fine. The bad news is that the lid screen does not turn on and the keyboard is acting funny (as in some keys will respond some will not). I hooked it up to an external display VIA HDMI and it does work. I even hooked a bluetooth keyboard to it and played around with it - it performs just fine if you do all of these steps.

Should I attempt to fix whatever is wrong with it and use it? Should I part it out and sell whatever I can on eBay or should I sell the whole thing as parts? I don't know how much everything is worth. I am also worried that if I attempt to fix it and put some $ into it, it might act up in the future rendering my time and money spent useless.

Your responses will be very helpful :)

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Not worth to fix it... too much headaches. Best if you can sell it on eBay and hope to make more money you can buy a refurb rMBP at Apple store.
    Next time, do not drink tea near your rMBP! :apple:

3. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok well this may seem like a silly question, but if I end up selling it on ebay I obviously would need to wipe all data to protect my information - how would I go about doing this? Did not use the computer much so I don't know how to do this. I want to be as thorough as possible in the wiping of data.

4. Baunkjaer macrumors 6502

Baunkjaer

Holdt the Alt-key down during boot. Then choose recovery, wipe the whole disk, and reinstall the OS.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think his computer his working, so that won't work, otherwise why would apple quote him so much money on repairing the laptop

6. jakespeed macrumors member

I think the OP indicated that it worked with a monitor and external keyboard.

I would do as mentioned above. Reinstall the OS it using the recovery console and sell it on Ebay....or if your ambitious, part it out. The display, and hard drive will fetch a decent amount of cash and might be worth more than you can get whole.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My bad, you're right - I missed that. :eek:

8. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I really don't have the time to tear the thing apart and sell piece by piece. Plus don't want to have to deal with packing all the delicate parts carefully and all that - think I'm gonna sell it as a whole :)

How much would you say I should ask for it? I glanced at some listings yesterday quickly, I found a water damaged regular MBP (no retina display) that was going for around $500 for a 15". And that one didn't power up - mine does. It had/has like 26 bids on it.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

probably not much more, if your saying your retina screen does not work than that part is useless

when buying a computer for parts the screen is a main part people want

actually the cMBP where better for parts because they were more easy to disesemble and put back together

10. jakespeed macrumors member

I would start the bidding at at least 750. There is a chance the display is OK and just something else is blown i would think but be open that you don't know in the auction. The screen (if its in perfect condition) should fetch 500-600 I would think and the SSD probably a 400ish? less. So for the whole i would think you could get close to 1000. There are repair shops that will scoop it up to get various bits (bottom case, fans, etc).

I dropped a 15 inch retina last year and cracked the screen. I was able to sell it for around 1200 even with the most expensive part broken. They were basically buying the keyboard, logic board, SSD and various bits for that price.

Describe the damage very well and what you have found (working except the keyboard etc) and i bet it will sell

11. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I have run into a problem. When I hook it up to external display, it will go to the login screen and all of that but if I start it up holding option to go into recovery (or command-r) it won't show on external display. The backlight doesn't turn on, and I have to hold the power button for like 10 seconds to shut it off.

So basically, I can't wipe it. What can I do?

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try making a boot drive on a USB drive and then use that to boot into the Mac and reformat the drive.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good idea

diskmaker X is a simple tool for making a bootable USB installer

14. BlackNBlue72 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup thought of this right after I posted. Thanks for the help!