15 reasons why iPad is better than a netbook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LadyHoneyBabe, Apr 17, 2010.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

More like "why I like the iPad." That's hardly a comparison to netbooks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

More like "15 opinions I have and think everyone else should have as well"

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

They are good reasons but if you don't see a value in the iPad then you won't get one.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

5. vw195 macrumors 6502

I agree...lame article. iPad won't supplant my net book, although it does augment it nicely.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Netbooks suck in about every way manageable, so I find only coming up with 15 reasons means they didn't try very hard.

7. vw195 macrumors 6502

No they don't.

8. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Kind of like the opinions of all the haters out there who think it's okay to berate and belittle people who decide to spend their own money on an iPad? :rolleyes:

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Exactly like that, actually.

10. keyofnight macrumors regular

keyofnight

11. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

I think that netbooks are pretty bad and ipad and like devices are going to replace a lot of the netbook marketshare. I really do hate netbooks and I really do love the ipad. Having said that, this article was really weak in all honesty. There are a couple of legitimate points (even a lot of them are), but they failed to expand them beyond "I like the app store its convenient so netbooks suck" type of arguments.

12. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I used a netbook/small laptop (10" HP) briefly and it was neat.

But the first time I picked up an iPad I loved it.

13. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Hardware Quality. Nothing like reliable WiFi. Oops.
    Functionality without a Hassle. Nothing like having to screw with router settings to get WiFi to work. Oops.
    It’s always ready to go. Oops. My Netbook has a sleep mode too. Wonder where Apple got the idea?
    Excellent battery life. True, until it wears out. No replacing it yourself. Oops.
    E-reader. Every device I have with Wifi (except the Zunes) has an e-pub reader app available. Most have the Kindle app as well. Both free. Oops.
    Comics. Also accessible on any netbook. I like the marvel comics app though. Oh wait. On any PC with FLASH support you can subscribe and view and discover where the app features came from.
    Excellent screen. True for it's size anyway. Choose from smaller or larger screens, and other screen ratios among the netbooks available. Or choose from the size assortment of Dell tablets to come out this year.
    Lots of Applications. True. In a few years the selection may match those available for anything running Windows.
    Speed. True. Of course once in an App it's up to the App to do the work, and any App I've compared between an iPad and my Netbook runs the same. I like zippy UI graphics though. Fun for awhile.
    Gaming. Too bad the iPad can't play FLASH games. Too bad it is not running Windows either, where there are more games available than in the App store.
    Photo Frame. Good use for one. Or buy a dedicated frame AND a netbook and still have money left over to eat out with.
    It’s not just a bigger iPhone / iPod Touch. Following that logic, it IS a bigger Touch and more. More money. More technical problems at the moment. And at the same time less efficient as you have to move your hand around farther to access the larger screen. Should be good training for anyone looking for a job in the fast food service.
    The Indescribable. Except the author went on to quote someone describing it. Very prosaic. Clearly a victim of UI seduction.

Yet I like the iPad for what it can do.

14. diabolic macrumors 68000

The most important reason an iPad is better than a netbook for me:

Simply because I think it's better. That's really all that matters. I'm the one using it every day to do the things I need to do.

15. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Yes, they do. The only reason anyone would buy a netbook is because they are cheap.

16. Hackint0sh macrumors member

Hackint0sh

17. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

Nicely put.

18. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

you can say that again. no comparison.

19. SqB macrumors 6502

Hmmm...

Attached Files:

• mort.jpg
      mort.jpg
      File size:
      27 KB
      Views:
  20. drjsway macrumors 6502a

These reasons are not advantages of netbooks but laptops in general. A netbook is just a really slow, cheap, crappy laptop.

Like I said, the ONLY reason to get a netbook is because they are cheap. If money wasn't a concern, why would anyone choose a netbook over a MBA?

The iPad, on the other hand, serves a purpose besides price. There are plenty of wealthy people still choosing to buy an iPad.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I agree with the above post. The only reason why people buy netbooks is because of the cheap price. It's not that a netbook offers them something that no other product has. The iPad is different, there is no product on the market even remotely similar to the iPad. People don't buy the iPad because of the price.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

If that was the case you probably would not need to visit the forums like this one ;)

You are being inconsistent. iPad does not offer something that no other product has either. And you are very wrong about other similar products. There are plenty of tablets available (Archos has been selling tablets for quite a while now and do not forget the iPod). And yes, people do not buy iPad because of the price, but many buy it because it's Apple and there is a commercial for it every time you watch TV. There are many people who will buy anything once they saw it on TV more than 10 times

23. diabolic macrumors 68000

Strange as it may seem, I have time to visit forums like this one precisely because I am able to get things done. I have been using the iPad on a couple of projects and it's been working really well.

24. GamecockMac macrumors 6502a

GamecockMac

That's about the most inane spin I've seen put forth yet to explain away the iPad's popularity. Congrats on reaching a new low for haters. :rolleyes: