15" Refurb question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mario-64, Aug 3, 2014.

1. mario-64 macrumors regular

Prior to the recent refresh I had been monitoring the refurb page pretty regularly. Mostly there would be 2012 models with the occasional 2013. I found it odd that the day after the refresh a bunch of 2013's showed up. Not that I'm complaining mind you (I bought one). My question is about the timing. Is it just coincidence that a load of 2013's appeared that day or could Apple be unloading new units this way?

2. chabig macrumors 68040

When Apple announces new machines, they always sell the older units as refurbished. Nobody would pay full price for the older models. The particular machine you bought could be brand new, but you'll never know.

3. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow. So it's possible I'll actually get a new unit?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

It sure is. But like I said, you won't be able to tell. I've bought lots of refurbished Macs and I can never tell. Even if you get a real refurbished machine it'll be perfect in every way. Some argue that refurbs are better than new because they've been through an additional inspection.

5. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Why would they go through the trouble of removing them from the retail packaging to sell them as refurbs?? I would say still sell them at refurb prices with the retail box. When people receive what is actually a new unit it would only boost there opinion of how good apple support is.

6. chabig macrumors 68040

The machines are sold as refurbished and every indication of sale, from the box to the serial number, will identify it as refurbished. How would you feel if you got a refurbished unit in a brown box, but your friend (who paid the same price) received a unit in full retail packaging?

7. Rbk23 macrumors regular

There have been late 2013's on there for months.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

They don't always switch out the packaging. I've seen refurbs in original packaging with a big "Apple Refurbished" sticker on the box. This was prior to Intel Macs though, so who knows what they're doing now.

9. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

As I said, occasionally yes but nowhere close the number that showed up following the refresh announcement

10. Rbk23 macrumors regular

Is there a stock number somewhere?

11. mario-64 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's shipping from Harrisburg, PA so I doubt it's a brand new unit. Hopefully it won't have any issues though