15" Retina 2.6/16/512 Windows 8?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RealEyes, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RealEyes macrumors regular

I've got the 15" Retina 2.6/16/512 config and I want to dual boot it with windows 8. Is this possible yet?

Will I still be able to use the laptop in clamshell mode with my Thunderbolt Display?

2. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

[​IMG]

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Yes, there is an app called Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder which will allow you to do that.

And yes you can use the laptop in clamshell mode with TB display, but I don't know how. :p

4. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

I used BootCamp to partition the HD, but when I try installing windows, it says, "No drivers found".

What do I do now? :p

5. eeclipse16 macrumors member

Here is windows 8 running on the same machine you have except i have 8gb ram. http://youtu.be/kRwpCn2ennE

If your having problems installing it you can follow this instructional video I made for installing Windows 7 is the steps for windows 8 will be exactly the same. I don't think you're checking the box to download the Windows drivers after you install Windows. http://youtu.be/5KhhnW3fIRw

6. kis macrumors 65816

Apple has not released Windows drivers for Windows 8. There are several issues (the trackpad not working correctly being one of them). So no - at the moment, Win 8 on a Retina MBP is not advised.

7. Newfiejudd macrumors regular

That is not entirely true. When I tried Windows 8 has an update to a previously installed Win 7, I encountered some issues. Unable to utilize the bootcamp control panel, and issues with the mouse.

There is a work around for using bootcamp control by using another account and selecting the configurations you want and restarting on your primary account.

As for me the Mouse was a fix of manual installing the driver from the Windows Support files.

Funny thing is that when I did a fresh install of win 8 everything seems to work a little better. I still had to use an alternate account to set that up. Although everything else seems to work quite well.

8. AndersBrohus macrumors regular

It's working!

I have the base model but with 16gb's and it's works great! With all drivers, the trackpad i needed to use a bat file to open it so i could configure it but now it works.. :)

I use it for Visual Studio 2012 and MS-SQL 2012 from the school :)

9. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

I got mine working as well. Had to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1, first. Then Windows 8 ontop of that. The trackpad didn't work at first but the fix was easy and you can find several online.

I have to use Office for work so this is pretty cool.

Been using it in clamshell mode with Thunderbolt display.

Pretty happy so far.

10. RealEyes thread starter macrumors regular

Now, id like to get my windows iTunes library matching the OSX iTunes without moving any files. Any tips on how to do this? I've tried setting the iTunes media library file to the same one thats on the mac, but it never updates.