15" Retina Base

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by childoftheko4n, Jul 17, 2013.

  1. childoftheko4n macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #1
    Hey all, i know some type of this question is asked a bit at this time of the year...but to buy or not to buy. I see a lot of people say if you are looking at the 13"..wait, but if 15" buy now. Why is that? I thought 13" is the one that was cut in price but not the 15".

    I am currently looking at the 15" retina with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD. The standard base 15 retina. Would be 2,000 with student pricing...

    So tempting!
     
  2. trigonometry macrumors 6502

    trigonometry

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #2
    Because recent benchmarks show the new 15" probably doesn't have a discrete GPU and is regarded as a step backwards in terms of performance. If that's not important to you then wait because the newer models should see significant battery life improvements and maybe a few surprises.
     
  3. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #3
    benchmarks of which model, the 2012? I thought the 2012 does have dGPU and the rumors (only rumors) was that 2013 MAY not have dGPU?
     
  4. trigonometry macrumors 6502

    trigonometry

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    South Carolina
    #4
    The unreleased 2013 model. That's what I'm talking about, "rumors". Somewhere, somehow they obtained the results of Apple testing the machine and it did not list a dGPU.
     
  5. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #5
    Oh ok, i was not aware of that. I have been using a MBA and looking to get back with a MBP so havent been in these subforums for awhile. Part of me wants to wait it out and see what the Haswell machines offer, as it's kind of lame to buy a model and a new one come out just months later.

    But yeah the dGPU is a major reason i would be getting the 15" to begin with.

    decisions =(
     
  6. locoboi187 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2012
    #6
    i seriously doubt they would take away the dGPU. The benchmark can simply be testing the performance with the iGPU only, and I can easily do that as well with gfxCardStatus. I have the current rMBP base and I love every bit about it but I would wait till September since it's not that far away at all. If the new ones come out and you don't like it then I'm sure the Apple store will still have the older models, most likely at a cheaper price since it's the older version.
     
  7. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2013
    Location:
    Always Somewhere
    #7
    hmm, for retina 13, maybe will have something "increase" in new model / refreshed model (late 2013).

    but for 15", with quad-core support, maybe will same with new model (exept in battrey life)
     
  8. childoftheko4n thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #8
    Yeah very true. It would be almost unwise to NOT wait at this point unless it was a necessity, which it is not. I suppose i will just keep my ear on here and keep looking for some leaks in the coming weeks.
     
  9. leman macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #9
    Could you link the source please?
     

Share This Page