15" Retina Hard Case

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertor, Jul 10, 2012.

1. robertor macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have just purchased the 15" Retina MBP, but have come to a bit of a brick wall in regards to protection for it. I had a speck hard case for my previous MBP, but there doesn't seem to be anything available yet for the Retina MBP. I would eventually like a hard shell case and a soft case to protect it, however everything I can find seems to be too big - for the cMBP 15".

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a hard case or is it just a waiting game until somebody like InCase develops one?

Many Thanks,
    Rob

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

To clarify, you're looking for a shell to fit around it, correct?
    Not like a case you unzip or something like that.

3. ninad macrumors member

I tried contacting speck and Moshi they were thinking of coming up within 4-6 week ( 1 week ago) so hope we will have something in AUG.

I also waiting for hard case

4. heyimandy macrumors member

5. IanGahagan macrumors member

I also contacted Speck and they told me a month, so I would also say early to mid august for a hard case. you may just have to baby it until then. :rolleyes:

heres one question though, would a hard case fit over a Wrapsol?

6. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I purchased this Brenthaven for $9 on Amazon until something better comes along. It's cheap protection and and has great reviews.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VR0LWE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

7. ninad macrumors member

i guess it should, but dont have experience of doing that

8. IanGahagan macrumors member

Yeah, I was just curious because I will have a Wrapsol on my system for the time being and will later add a hard case for the protections from dents and dont want to remove the 50 dollar protector haha.

9. wethackrey macrumors 6502

I have a waterproof hard shell case that will accommodate my MBPr when I'm on dive trips as such. For day to day use I use a Waterfield Designs sleeve http://www.sfbags.com in a Saddleback Leather http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ briefcase. This arrangement has protected my various MBPs without incident as I've bounced around the planet as a consultant the past few years. It didn't project one from being stolen from a rental car, but that's a different story.

I'm curious what you do that you prefer a hard shell case. Not being at all critical. Everybody has their favorite methods to shlep their stuff around. Just curious.

10. robertor thread starter macrumors newbie

11. iLife87 macrumors member

I contacted speck, they told me mid to late August.

12. ninad macrumors member

:(

I was expecting to be in early AUG

13. Mark07 macrumors newbie

14. 01mggt macrumors 6502

I went with the Kuzy black rubberized case. It actually just shipped. Looks like it will beat my rmbp here. I didn't feel like waiting on a Spek. My last Speck however was awesome. Minus serious yellowing and stuff over 4 years for some reason. I really only use the hard cases while out from the house so I wasn't too picky.

15. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Incase has a really nice hard case for the MBA. It has a bunch of holes. I hope they make something similar for the rMBP.

16. rnksan macrumors newbie

Please post an update/pictures when you get the kuzy case! The pictures on amazon are just like their old macbook pro cases, and I don't want to buy a case that covers the new vents on the sides of the retina.

17. plasmo macrumors member

Did you get your Kuzy Case yet? I'm also looking for a shell case for my new MBP retina... not too many current choices

18. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

that was my concern too...looks there are more photos now that show they aren't obstructed.[​IMG]

19. mmansell macrumors newbie

20. Fatt macrumors member

Would like to know just how rubberized the rubberized Kuzy hard case is. Does it have enough grip to keep it from sliding around on a smooth slanted desk? This would be the main reason I'd get a case like this for my rMBP. From what I've seen Speck doesn't really have a model with a rubberized, or grippy bottom case, or am I wrong? I'd like a case that is itself rubberized, and doesn't just have grippy rubberized feet.

I've also read some reviews of the Kuzy cases actually cracking, but it was the glossy models which may use a more brittle plastic. How does the plastic feel on the rubberized case? Does it feel brittle?

21. plasmo macrumors member

Awesome. Can you take some photos with the case on (and off) ? thanks!

22. katmeef macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, just ordered the black rubberized rMBP hard case + their black keyboard cover (for $1 more)

23. robertor thread starter macrumors newbie

24. plasmo macrumors member

Any closeup photos from those who got their hard shell cases?
    I saw Hard Candy is coming out in September with a rMBP shell. Anyone know of any others?

25. robertor thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, any photos would be great! Still waiting for InCase or Speck...