15" Retina MBP and 30" Apple cinema display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markjones05, Mar 5, 2013.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I recently bought a 15" Macbook Pro with the retina display and tried to plug in my 30" Apple Cinema display using a DVI to mini display converter. I was able to get a picture on the screen but it looked horrible as the resolution is no where near as high as in needed to be. So I went into the display preferences and was surprised when I couldn't select the proper resolution for my display, in fact I only had 3 resolutions to choose from none of which would be high enough for any modern day display over the size of 12". Upon further tinkering I realized that I couldn't even find what the resolution of my macbookpros retina display was through the system preferences display tab. Did they remove a lot of functionality from the display preferences or is it just me? Am I missing something blatantly obvious? How on earth do I get this to work?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You need a mini-DisplayPort to dual link DVI adapter. Make sure you get the Apple one.

3. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

This is what I used

Is that not right?

4. markjones05 thread starter macrumors 6502a

markjones05

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

that one only supports up to 1920x1200. A 30" display is much higher than that.

6. gaijinpunch macrumors newbie

I'm about to get an rMBP and the internet is telling me the Apple one is awful. I know there's been some firmware updates but still some gotchas as well. Is it the consensus that the Apple one is the best?

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Generally the consensus is the Apple one is the one to get. And from firsthand experience it's been fine for me with a Dell 3007WFP.

Note that if possible you'll want to use the DP port on your monitor instead. DP is a cleaner one cable connection and is more reliable than Dual link DVI.

However if you have an older monitor and just a DVI port, the Apple cable is your best option.

8. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

when I was looking around for 30" displays the only one from apple I can find were used and had a defect (usually dead pixels). Dell is the only firm making quality 30" monitors in my opinion.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Also, with the Dell 30" you can use a $6 Mini-DP to Mini-DP cable, no need to pay bonkers money for a Dual DVI...

Excellent monitor, excellent support. Mine went a bit flickery after four and a half years, called Dell and they had a new one on my doorstep the next morning (with a courier ticket to return the old one).

Now all I'm waiting for is a Retina version...

10. gaijinpunch macrumors newbie

I guess I need to read around some more. I know Apple has had a couple of years (and has done some FW fixes) to address the issue, but there's still a lot of bad press surrounding that particular product.

I have two Dells. Can't find the model numbers, but both are 30". The older one is far better, actually. It has 2 DVI-i connections, HDMI, and Display Port. The other one is a lower grade model and simply has only the DVI input.

What is required if I wanted to use the Display Port on one? I can handle one being "cleaner" than the other. If I use the Display Port cable on one is it simply a cable?

11. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

If you have the Retina MacBook Pro and you want to hook it up to a monitor with a DisplayPort, just use one of these or something similar. Cleaner, one connection, cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-MDP2DPMM10-10-Feet-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B003TSTDHQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If the other monitor only has a DVI port then depending on its native resolution you'll need a single link DVI cable or a dual link DVI cable. If the native resolution of the monitor is 1920x1200 or lower than you need a single link DVI cable, of which the choices are plenty and usually cheap. If the native resolution is higher than 1920x1200 then you need the dual link DVI cable which was initially discussed. The dual link requires an additional USB connection, and as you have mentioned requires firmware updates and is generally tricky (although in my setup it happens to work OK). THat's why the recommendation is to take advantage of your Display Port whenever possible.

12. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

For the Apple mDP -> DL-DVI adapter you want one that is at least firmware 1.0.2. Newest is 1.0.3. If you buy new chances are it is 1.0.3. However if you do get one that is 1.0.2 or older you can go to an Apple Store to get it swapped for a new one. Nearly all the bad reviews were for the older firmware. Nowadays the adapter works pretty well. I've tried it with a bunch of 30"s and they all worked fine.

13. gaijinpunch, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

gaijinpunch macrumors newbie

Awesome -- thank you.

Also noted, thanks. They are both 30" Dells, but one has a lack of connections. It was substantially cheaper, though. Might try to find one used and see if I can't sell the one w/o Display Port for minimal damage.

Cool -- good info if I go that route!