Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3dayslater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
I'm looking at getting a 15" rMBP. For those of you who have it, what is the performance like while working in FCP X and Photoshop CC? I'm definitely going retina since I'm hooked on the display!

Also, I know that it gets jittery in safari and a couple other apps. If I plug in external displays to it, will I get jittery performance on those as well?

Conflicted because I know new models are coming most likely in October; however I need this soon for work purposes.

Last thing: are the February 2013 models having fewer issues (I.e. image retention) than the 2012 models?

Thanks for the feedback!!

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I don't use FCP X, but Photoshop is a joy to use on the Retina display. The only problem is that you have to use it in "Best For Retina" if you want to view images in pixel-perfect form.

If you plug an external display in, the external display is actually smoother than the internal display because there is no scaling (for Retina graphics) involved. OSX Mavericks that's being released this Fall will fix any remaining lag or jittery issue you have with the computer.

And there is no guarantee that the February 2013 models will have less issues than the June 2012 models. There seems to be an equal amount of reports on issues for them.

My advice for buying now? Grab one from the Apple Refurbished section and use it. If the 2013 models come out and it offers something you want (like the ability to connect to a 4K - 3840 x 2400 - display) then you can still sell the MacBook for a small loss.

All indications are that the 2013 update will be pretty minor for the 15" version, though. The main improvements are there for the 13" version, and for the MacBook Air.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Yeah, go refurb always unless you want the fancy white box. I have purchased a refurb computer from Apple before, and personally, I think it's pretty much identical to a brand new computer that's just taken fresh out of a box.

But then... that's pretty much what every other guy does. I saw a rMBP 15" in the refurb this morning, but it's all gone now, so I think you'll have to wait for a while. Unless you're not in U.S..

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Bill-p pretty much sums it up nicely. I have used FCP X on my 13" cMPB and omg was that awful. I havent really USED it yet on my 15" rMBP, all Ive done was load a few things into it just to test some features. But what I can tell you so far, it runs very nicely compared to my 13"; got the pinwheel all the time on the 13" :[ The quad core and dedicated graphics in the 15" rMBP are spectacular, and you shouldnt have any problems with using it. I can even play my games on it!

My opinion, 15" rMBP, best computer you can get (at this point in time).
*braces for the backlash*

3dayslater

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2013
That's really good to hear.
Right now I'm on a early 2008 Mac Pro with a quad-core processor. It's pretty sad when the benchmarks for the 15" rMBP are close to double that of my Mac Pro configuration! FCP X is very jittery and sluggish on that system. So hoping the 15" rMBP's up-to-date specs (and SSD :D ) will perform much better on FCP X!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have a Mid 2012 15" rMBP and I have been working with FCPX and Photoshop CS6 few times…the load time is not so SUPER FAST but there is no beachball at all. retina display is so awful awesome! :apple:

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
well ive used motion 5 and fcp7 on my cMbp it got the job done but exporting files were time taking. Now on the retina fcp7 does look good and exports files way faster. Motion 5 is amazing to use no lags what so ever. Im not much a fan of fcpx so cant comment on it. Logic pro is where i find tremendous amounts of improvements and no issues while doing an offline bounce with 15+ tracks with vsts plugins synths etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.