15" Retina or NOS 17" Powerbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z-0, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Z-0 macrumors newbie

I need to replace my ancient 17" Powerbook. I spend a lot of time working on large spreadsheets and really need a big display. I know that the 15" Retina has more pixels, but I am almost 60 and I don't think that my old eyes can make good use of really high pixel density.

I am trying to decide between a 15-inch 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with Retina display (introduced Feb 2013) and a new-old-stock 17" MacBook Pro with 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 750GB - 7200 rpm HD, and anti-glare display (introduced Oct 2011).

The prices are about the same.

One big concern I have about the 17" is that it may become incompatible with the latest software sooner. It was introduced 16 months earlier but both use quad-core Intel Core i7 processors.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd go with the classic, but I'm a sucker for the anti-glare screen and upgradability.

Of course, knowing Apple the non-retina will lose OS support faster than a fly to honey.

3. simsaladimbamba

The i7 17" MBP will be able to use the latest OS X version for at least another two years, probably even more. Applications will be available to run on it for even longer, and just because one application becomes incompatible at some time, does not mean you have to upgrade your working version of it just for upgrading sakes. I have many applications running not newer versions, including the OS, I am still on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as those newer versions did not add any features I needed or even took away features I used.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I am close to 50 and i find the Retina to be far easier on the eyes, compared to my standard Early 2008 & Late 2011 15" MBP`s, also the Retina`s ability to scale the display is a bonus.

For your described use, it`s solely down to personal preference, so i would go and have a look at what Retina offers, or if portability is not an issue a smaller machine, one of the 13"s and a high quality external display.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Buy the rMBP, it's going to be more powerful and have a higher resolution.

You should look into using an external monitor(s) if you want serious screen real estate though.

6. leman macrumors 604

There is no reason why it should become incompatible sooner, the capabilities of CPU/GPU are very similar. If the price is similar though, then I would recommend a retina MBP - its a significantly faster machine which is also more mobile and has a better display (IPS). Reals-screen-estate they are pretty much comparable (both capable of 1920x1200)