15"retina, should i back it up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Natzoo, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, i had my retina mac for about a year, and i have used 300gb on my mac. Should i back it Up?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it is always a good idea to have a backup of the data and files on ones machine.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You should always have a backup. You should have started backing it up a year ago.

4. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Yes, i know. I bought a LaCie backup is it good? My friend had one but then after a year it just died

5. BasicGreatGuy, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

In my opinion, you should have a backup of the backup. And it wouldn't hurt to upload some files to a cloud service, unless you have a place for offsite access.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

My indirect experiences with LaCie in general are not so great, but it's tough to find good external hard drives without going to something expensive such as NAS/DAS solutions. LaCie's support is terrible. The firewire bridges used to burn out on the old ones. I haven't looked at a recent one, but the old ones had noisy fans in spite of running hot. If you choose to rely on one of those, don't leave it on 24/7. Just turn it on to backup, then shut it down. It's likely to last longer that way.

Anyway I just found it strange that you ask if you should back it up. Think of it this way. If your drive ends up with corruption or dies (yes SSDs do die) you have no practical recourse. The cheap recovery solutions are not so great. Sometimes software recovery works on minor things. Otherwise you will spend upwards of $1000 and quite possibly well above that for professional data recovery. Typically the people who are forced to pay that do so because one or more backup solutions failed along with their primary data storage.

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Just go with a western digital or seagate, etc. Cheaper, and it'll be the same speed as long as you get one with USB 3. Lacie doesn't make their own hard drives. They buy them from a company like western digital or seagate that make hard drives. Lacie just makes the case.

Another option is to just back up the important files with a cloud solution (dropbox,etc), but an external hard drive is the best way to go.

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Thanks for the reminder, I do need a backup of my backup.

LaCie is now owned by Seagate, so I would assume they use Seagate drives. No wonder my LaCie 3 TB is so loud during operation :rolleyes:

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless you don't care about your data (I'm not trying to be coy), you should have backups. Apple provides TimeMachine, there's also Carbon Copy Cloner.

There's a thread in the Mac Apps forum about someone trying to restore his iPhoto library because he accidentally deleted it. You need backups for any unforeseen problem that may crop up

10. Natzoo thread starter macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Thanks, so I'm going to return my LaChachie backup (don't know spelling of it). Then just get a western digital one

11. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Yeah get a Western Digital from Amazon. Excellent reliable hard drives at an unbeatable price.

I own 3 actually.

12. snaky69 macrumors 603

That question shouldn't even be asked. Every, single, hard drive, eventually fails. Everyone of them. No matter the technology.

Not backing up is just begging for trouble and lost data down the road.

For any important data you cannot afford to lose you should have at least 3 copies. The original, a backup on an external/NAS, what have you, and a third copy off site(say a cloud service) should your house burn down.

13. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

The original question earns a Gibbs head slap.

FYI, note that you can customize what's backed up. i.e. you can exclude System files, Applications, and specifically choose your Documents, Music, Pictures and Movies folders only.
    [​IMG]

14. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

'LaCie', spelled it twice in my post.

I had one of those fail after less than two years of use, so not the most reliable of drives. Then again, that is the reason you get two and use one as a backup.