15 retina trade critique

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jimbojones85071, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jimbojones85071 macrumors newbie

Hi i purchased a 2012 15 retina pro a few months ago. Overall it has been pretty solid. My only issue with the computer is the abysmal battery life. I was considering trading my retina pro for a haswell.
    My pro is the base model and the air has the following specs

MacBook Air Mid 2013 - 512 GB ssd, 1.7 i7, 8 GB RAM

Does this seem like a good trade? Should i ask for cash?

Both computers are in mint condition

2. matneh macrumors regular

The Air is 13"? Will you be OK going to a smaller screen size after using the 15"?

3. mannyo1221 macrumors member

Are you sure there is nothing wrong with the macbook, I've been using mine on battery for more than 5 hours and still have plenty of life left (15" rMPB, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD)

4. macNwindow macrumors member

you got the 15" for the wrong reasons! It has more power so you should expect a fast battery drain over the Air. lower your screen brightness to 50% or lower, turn off keyboard lighting, turn off wifi if you are not using it. Minimize open apps/software. All this will help your battery life. My mbpr can last a whole day on a full charge. I take it around my campus and it still has 40% at the end of the day. Thats is really good, compared to my hp that only lasted 1/4 of my day before the battery charge goes.

5. cherishzm macrumors regular

Your rMBP's retail price is $2,199 and the MBA's retail is $1,849 with the upgrades so even if the MBA came out more recently, the difference in retail price is $350. So, I'd ask for about $200 cash on top of the MBA for a fair trade if you really want to do it.

6. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

What do you consider abysmal? 3 hours, 6 hrs?

7. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

You might want to check if you're running something that turns on the dGPU but doesn't actually need it. We just had a post on here recently where the user was unable to determine how they were getting good battery life one day and only a few hours the next. The answer was that one of their applications was enabling the dGPU while sitting in the background, causing the system to drain battery faster than it should considering the overall load.

The easiest way to check is to install "gfxCardStatus." It'll let you track which GPU is active, and you can actually stop some programs from switching the dGPU on with it if you want (it'll still override this setting in some cases).

8. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Based on actual market values, it's an even trade.

If I had the MBA, I wouldn't even consider trading it for a 1st gen rMBP but that's just me.