My situation I currently own a non-retina 15" MBP (Mid 2012) with 2.6 GHz and a 650M as well as a MacBook Air 13" (Early 2014) with 1.4 GHz. I intend to "combine" the best of both by buying a newer and lighter retina MBP for everyday usage. Also I was tired of needing to sync data between multiple Macs or buying multiple license keys for some apps that require it. I've been holding of on buying a new Mac since the beginning of this year. I do want 16 GB of RAM as well as 512 GB+ storage. I'm do not want to store xyz GB of data on an SD card to "expand" the internal storage. Right now I've been carrying my MBA around all the time. It has great battery life and does things really really well, but some things like Final Cut Pro X or other stuff is a real pain and I need to wait to get home. I simply bought it as the non-retina MBP was too heavy and bulky to be using it for college. Things I Do At home I mostly use Final Cut Pro X for editing 1080p videos, Logic Pro X, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, After Effects and other smaller tasks like Chrome, Word and iTunes. For me I insist on having a quad-core CPU as well as a powerful GPU (as good eGPU solutions appear to be rare). The issue As for many other users I was shocked when I saw the price of the new 15" rMBP 2016. I love Touch ID, its slimness and design, but I'm thinking about being worth the price in the long run. I will most certainly keep the MBP for around 3 to 5 years and sell it afterwards. Ports are some kind of a deal, but Í find it useful having one cable for everything and being able to use hubs that deliver power which was never possible with MagSafe. If I'd buy one, it'll be an 460M GPU. Also the wider colour gamut might be perfect for calibrating it as my 2012 MBP achieved 98 % sRGB and with such a wide colour gamut calibrating it will most certainly not result in banding. Moreover, the 2015 MBP appears to have a quite bad gamut compared to the old non-retina high-res one. The brighter thing doesn't interest me as I do not intend on using it outside. Lastly, the possibility of having a USB-C power bank thrilled me. I could use a medium sized power bank to charge the rMBP 2016 on the go. For the 2015 version I'd need a special power bank which is available (even though not magnetic). However, without every using the butterfly keyboard, I think I wouldn't like it. I got used to Apple's keyboards, even prefering it over the mechanical one I have on my gaming PC. Things I'd miss: the SD card slot. I rarely used it and it never really worked properly on my 2012 MBP, but I am a photographer and I might use it. But an adapter would do it too. Prices for the rMBP 2015 with the M370X are about € 2400 here now. Compared to € 2950 for the rMBP 2016 with the 460M it's sort of a big jump. The 13" rMBP 2016 is not something I could ever consider. Final words I'm really struggling to find a good decision. I price wasn't something I had to think about, I would go the 2016 road all the way. It is no like it's not in my budget, but I think the jump is not worth the price right now. But I feel that in the long run it will pay off if I look back. Waiting another year for prices to drop is not something I want to do. Moreover, buying a refurbished 15" rMBP 2016 would be about as much as I'd pay with the education discount and I would never want to buy a used Mac from some user. I also read about bad experiences with refurbished devices from 3rd parties while my own MBA is an Apple refurbished product and came in like new.