15" rMBP 512 gb SSD vs 1 TB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Dec 23, 2013.

?

Which option is the best buy?

1. 15" rMBP with the standard 512 gb SSD

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. 15" rMBP with upgraded 1 tb SSD

13 vote(s)
    72.2%
  1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Which one makes the most sense? I can easily use up 1 TB, especially with bootcamp installed. But on the other hand, I can solve it using external drives.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you can afford it and you can justify the extra cost, internal is always better than external for HDD/SSDs.

3. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can afford it, but I have a hard time justifying it.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Then I would say 512GB, maybe with a bootable external SSD or something of that nature for Bootcamp. If you can shrink the partition, though, 1 TB external drives are pretty cheap now (around 60-70 USD on Amazon).

5. drought macrumors newbie

you said in the OP you can easily use 1tb. as already stated, 1tb of internal ssd is better than 512 + external. and you said you can afford it. what more justification do you need? if max speed doesn't matter to you then get 512 and an external drive. if it does, get 1tb.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two things to consider.
    1. If you go the external drive route, you'll have to carry it around when you travel - possible but generally a pain.

2. read/write speeds will be slower, unless you spend $$ for a TB external drive.

If you need 1TB of storage, and you have the budget then go for it.

7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

For me, 512GB would be more than enough. Reads like you use more space than that so you should go whole hog. External drives are a PITA.

>

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Same with me. 512GB was enough for me to store everything important on the drive. With a 1TB I'd still have to put some data on an external drive and you need a backup anyway so, I could not justify the price for the 1TB internally. 256GB would not be enough for me but 1TB is just not worth the money for me.
    If you can go almost completely without externals and it just fits perfectly or the price difference really just isn't anything to write home about because you have plenty money 1TB is okay, but otherwise I wait for nand getting cheaper.
    You can still sell the MBP and in theory the blade ssds should be easily swappable. It isn't integrated into the logic board like RAM.

9. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Realistically most people aren't going to do that though so it isn't really much of an option.
    OP I would be interested to know what you use so much space for. Most people find they can offload nonessential field to an external pretty easily. If you need that much space for work files like video that would make sense.

10. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

1TB all the way. But I'm biased that's the one I got. Can't argue with the performance numbers though :D

[​IMG]

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Agreed, I've got the 1TB as well. It's a lot faster then the 512GB. If you can afford it, go for it, it's faster (way, way faster than an external) and more convenient.