Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
I've been using my Early 2011 MBP as a desktop replacement since 2011. Never really needed a desktop since it does everything I need and my MBP is still fully working after daily use for long hours. Current battery health: 89% with 339 cycles - kept plugged in for most of the time.

Like others have said, you could always hook your MBP up to an external monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers to get a more fuller 'desktop' experience. You get that added portability whenever you want to take your mac with you.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
I've been using an original baseline rMBP for bout 18 months now. I edit video, game at low-med graphics, and edit photos with it a lot. I've noticed it's gotten slower but not much. It's amazing what it can do for a laptop, altho I'm going to be streaming while gaming soon. Prolly need a desktop to do that in a stable manner for hours on end. At the very least it'll kill my laptop super fast. As far as battery tho I usually let it drain once or twice a month, doesnt seem to be an issue I leave it plugged in otherwise. There is a yellow spot on the power cord tho, prolly from some heavy use at one point:p

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
Another factor to consider is that a laptop needs to be configured with energy saving in mind. So, I had lots of programs that I would normally configure to start with the OS, configured them not to start...Also think about Safari plug ins that you would normally disable when mobile just to save some energy but would like to use when connected to power..
This is actually a very good point. I use an application called ControlPlane that automatically switches some energy saving "type" settings and applications based on whether it detects if I'm plugged in or not.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
I'm considering moving from my current 15" 2011 MBP to a 21.5" iMac during my next upgrade. I had the exact same dilemma last time I upgraded, but at the time the iMacs lacked the i7 processor in my then-new MBP.

For me, I'd love to be able to have the convenience of leaving all my audio gear permanently wired into the iMac. I know I could use a Cinema Display but that's another £800-odd. Right now, it's a pain to connect my interface, amp head, monitors (speakers) etc. each time I'm recording or mixing. Also, I only ever do those things in a specially treated room, so the portability factor is pointless.

I'd use my iPad more if I had an iMac. For me, I'll very likely get an iMac for the heavy audio/video work and a new iPad as a 'laptop'. Then my iPhone for the field work. Especially given there's some amazing audio interfaces and apps for the iPad when I'm recording away from home, I wouldn't miss my MBP's mobile recording capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.