15" rMBP Base Max vs Top w/Nvidia Max

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdali, Oct 22, 2013.

1. sdali macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I just put in my order for the maxed out 15" MBPr with Nvidia graphics, but i'm having second thoughts and think I should change my order to the base model maxed out without the discrete graphics.

I've had issues with the graphics switching on my current macbook pro and I hate how when I launch VLC, Rdio or VMware that it switches to discrete graphics when it doesn't need to.

I do game on my macbook, but it is minimal. Most of the time i'm doing coding, photo work and testing on various virtual machines I have installed. I also tend to have lots of windows open at the same time.

Do you think it is worth keeping the discrete graphics? Is the NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M going to be a lot better than the Intel Iris Pro for my use case?

Unfortunately there is no price savings between the maxed out base model and the top of the line with the discrete graphics.

Thanks

2. Nostalgia macrumors member

I´m asking myself the same questions... let´s see if someone can help us out

3. bernhard macrumors member

Hi,

just use gfxCardStatus to prevent the switch to nVidia graphics.

4. sdali thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, it stopped working for Mountain Lion and above. Even though gfxCardStatus says its in integrated mode, the discrete graphics card is still draining power.

5. bernhard macrumors member

works fine for me (10.9!), best test is to plug in an external display, when forced to internal graphics the display stays dark as the integrated GPU is not connected to the TB ports.

6. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

You don't have much control over your graphics card when you try to use the "Integrated Graphics Only" setting. For certain apps (i.e. PowerPoint), it forces your system to use the dGPU.

I would say cancel your order and order the maxed out base model. On NotebookCheck.net, the 750M is only marginally better than the 5200. But that's with benchmarks. I'm not sure if this translates directly to real world performance, such as gaming or video editing and whatnot.

----------

So if you don't do any INTENSE gaming or use any other GPU demanding apps, definitely go for the 5200.

7. bs-2010 macrumors member

I'd also like to know this. I do mainly music/sound production and video editing and very little gaming. If possible I'd like to save some money and buy some better speakers and other things I need. If iris pro can get me by for the next 4 years or so, I'd like to go that route.

8. Carlos.Chou macrumors newbie

15" rMBP Base Max vs Top w/Nvidia Max

Does anyone know which is better Iris Pro or Nvidia GeForce GT 750M for the new Macbook pro?

Carlos

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Which is better? Sure. The Nvidia GeForce GT 750M is better. Why else would it be only in the high-end version of the 15-inch rMBP?

10. Tibits macrumors regular

If you do video editing, the extra juice will make your workflow faster.

11. leman macrumors 604

There is no reason at all for you to get the dedicated GPU. The dGPU is mostly for gamers and people doing heavy 3D stuff

So it is.

Would you be so kind to show us some benchmarks? For GPU-assisted workflows, Iris Pro is not any slower than the 750M. It surely has more processing capability. Its only weakness is memory bandwidth.

12. sdali thread starter macrumors newbie

RichardC300, thanks. I've switched my order. 15% better graphics isn't justifiable for my use case. I would rather have a cooler laptop with longer battery life.

I think they are saying that the 650M vs the 750M is only 15%, so it's like getting last years discrete card, but integrated. That's good enough for me.

It's too bad that the price isn't any cheaper.

13. Mansali macrumors member

Wait a second its only 15% better?????

14. sdali thread starter macrumors newbie

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/477...s-review-the-end-of-mid-range-gpus-conclusion

Basically the Iris Pro 5200 is on par with GT 650M.

And the GT 750M is only 15% better than the GT650M:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-750M.90245.0.html

Honestly, with that information it is almost becomes a no brainer for me.

Why have another chip generating another 35-40 watts, when the integrated chip is good enough?

15. iamadreamer macrumors newbie

Make sure you check the final price. It seems that the base model with the same cpu + RAM + HDD will have the same price as the one with Nvidia 750:

Base model without dGPU ($1999) + 2,3Ghz + 16GB Ram + 512GB flash = $2599
    Top-end model with dGPU = $2599

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18191789&postcount=14342

16. lotsoflemon macrumors newbie

Thanks for breaking it down, you basically just convinced me to go for the base model. I'm sorta in the same situation - getting a 15" for video editing in FCPX and Motion 5, so will need max RAM, but not sure if the slightly increased processor speed (0,3 GHz), +256 Gb SSD and the GT 750M is worth the extra £290 = $471 (I get a nice student discount) - can I get a second opinion on this? Or I'll go with the base model and maxed out RAM.

17. badgerivy macrumors newbie

Thanks for pointing this out. Since the price is no object; both are identical, any idea on which would have better battery life?

18. longshank macrumors newbie

Funny, I just ordered the 15" base model with 2,3GHz, 16GB RAM and 512 HDD. After I placed the order I realized it was the same price as the top model with discrete GPU. My first reaction was that I should change the order, but after reading this thread and some research on the GPU switch issues I have to think again.

I never play games, occasionally some graphic design and heavy websites running in multiple tabs in Chrome (which consume a lot of CPU on my 2009 Macbook Pro).

Would you in my case skip the 750m even if you could get it "for free"?

19. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

There's a simple app called gfxCardStatus that you can get and force only the integrated graphics. At the same price go with the 750m, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you didn't (resale value).

20. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

GET THE 750M you chumps (especially if there is no price difference)... I can't believe we are debating this.

Yes, gfxcardstatus will allow you to permanently disable the dGPU if you ever desire to, so you can squeeze out that extra battery life.

21. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I would not skip. Definitely cancel and reorder.

22. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Based on your usage, if it cost more than $100 to have the 750M I think you should definitely switch. Iris pro is basically on par with the 750M. Even in games it comes within 5 frames of the 750M in most of the latest games. The only reason you'd need the dGPU is for 3D modeling or rendering activities

23. lotsoflemon macrumors newbie

But does it justify the extra $471? Including the processor and SSD bump

24. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

What exactly is the issue between the computer switching between the Iris Pro and the GT 750M? I thought this was a seamless operation and unnoticeable to the user? If it is noticeable, what impact does it have?

Secondly, will the GT 750M noticeably degrade battery life? I plan on purchasing my 15" with 16GB of ram and with the 2.3GHz processor in either case so the price is the same, I don't see why not go with the GT 750M but after reading this thread I want to understand why I shouldn't. I don't do heavy gaming. Occasional video editing, and maybe later on in college will need to do 3D graphics rendering, but who knows.

25. CultHero macrumors 6502

from what I can see you can build two identical rMBP's one with and one without the NVIDA.

Newbie question here, but why wouldn't you get the NVIDIA? All the threads leading up to this were pissed that the discrete looked to have been cancelled now there are those who don't want it?

Is it a power saving thing? A heat thing?

I have a 2005 iMac that I am replacing. I am just going to max out the rMBP and go full boat. I figured that would include the NVIDIA. Is that wrong?