15" rMBP can't handle 1080p/60 YT

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tsuchiya, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

In the last couple of weeks my 15" MacBook Pro has been really struggling with streaming 1080p 60fps videos through Safari.

Only happens when I try to go full screen, there is massive lag which occasionally results in sound being out of sync, and it takes 10 seconds or so to smooth out.

It'll play fine if I leave it, but if I move my cursor even a little, the video drops frames.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Mac specs:
    15" rMBP late 2013
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    2.0GHz i7
    8GB ram
    Iris Pro 1536mb

Using Safari 9.1.2

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are we sure it's not your internet bandwidth? Do you have the same problem playing a downloaded video?

3. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Playing a video at the same resolution and frame rate from a SD card works perfectly, just streaming on YouTube via Safari causes issues.

I can play the same video on Chrome or Firefox just fine, though Safari does appear to be a bit more...crisp? Settings telling me playback is 1080p across all 3 browsers.

Didn't always struggle, so I'm not sure where the problem is. Video will be smooth as heck once rolling, but the minute I even nudge my mouse it will lag.

4. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Do you have Flash installed? When you right-click the Youtube video window does it say that it's using HTML5 or Flash?

Also, have you tried using the Safari Technology Preview?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What application are you using when you watch the video from an SD card? It sounds like the problem is either bandwidth, or it could be YouTube itself. Possibly your browser using a bit too much RAM.

6. Tsuchiya thread starter macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

It says HTML5. I'll give it a go.

VLC. Different video though, just also happens to be 1080/60.

7. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Since it's HTML5, it could be a bug with Safari. Definitely try the Technology Preview and see if it's been fixed. I don't believe it's a bandwidth issue if other browsers are able to play fine.