15" rMBP equivalent to Xbox One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AroundTheFur922, Nov 7, 2015.

1. AroundTheFur922 macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

Although the specs on my MacBook are mostly superior to an Xbox One (I'm not sure about the GPU as the Xbox's is custom but I hear that most console GPU's are a few generations behind modern PC's) I understand that requirements for PC games are higher than console requirements. Would my early 2013 15" rMBP 2.4 i7/650m GT/16GB RAM be able to run Fallout 4 at roughly the same resolution/settings as an Xbox One?

2. waquzy macrumors regular

waquzy

I am not an expert but I highly doubt it you can run it anywhere close to that on Xbox One

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

As an apple user you should know that isn't everything related to tech specs.
    Operative system, APIs , developer tools ... everything on an Xbox One is optimized for gaming performance. On your MacBook Pro.... not.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

No.

Games on consoles are fully optimised for the hardware they are running on which is why games look so great on feeble hardware that consoles have. The 650M dGPU in your machine is going to really struggle with the game. I'm not sure how much RAM it has, but 2GB is the minimum recommended.

5. AroundTheFur922 thread starter macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

So I'm guessing 1080/30fps is out of the question?

6. boast macrumors 65816

boast

The 650m is pretty similar to the minimum requirement NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB. So at fully low settings, it might run. I am not sure about 1080P since the 650m has 1GB and the minimum card has 2GB.

7. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

An Xbox One is a custom built machine designed for gaming, your MacBook Pro Retina is designed for work related tasks, photo, editing etc. The GPU in your rMBP isn't even close to the sheer power in the Xbox One. You also have to remember that, yes most computers are more powerful than consoles, that statement is mainly for desktop computers and actual gaming laptops. The 650m is a very dated card and wasn't even that powerful to begin with 3 years ago.

8. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

The guys on here have pretty much nailed it, you're not going to get decent performance comparable to a console out of a Macbook - optimisation and custom GPUs/dev kits give consoles a huge advantage regardless of hardware. In terms of gaming performance I'd rate current options as:

Gaming PC > PS4 > Xbox One > Macs

Macs are great, but they're not great for gaming regardless of what OS you run on it - it's just not what the hardware's designed for.

Side note: If you're on the fence about which console to pick up for Fallout 4 next week, I'd go PS4 purely for the significantly faster install times irrespective of the PS4's performance advantage - whilst owning and using both, the difference in time to get a game out of the box and to actually play it is staggeringly.

9. AroundTheFur922 thread starter macrumors member

AroundTheFur922

I never expected my MacBook to be able to push modern gaming at resolutions 1440p and above at 60+fps. I thought maybe 1080p at 30fps on medium settings would be doable though. It seems that is not the case though =(

10. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Nope, in truth neither of the current consoles are powerhouses in the same way PS3 and 360 were relative to PCs at the time of release.

Both struggle to hit 60fps on modern titles and whilst the PS4 can generally handle 1080p no problem, the X1 has real trouble hitting full HD for a lot of titles... hell, even Halo 5 had to use dynamic scaling below full 1080p to keep the frame-rate stable.