15 rMBP "flash storage" vs aftermarket SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robo456, Jan 4, 2013.

1. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

I tried searching google and MR, but didn't see anything (which was hard to believe, maybe I'm just "search fail" material)

Does anyone have any read/write benchmarks on Apple's "256 gb Flash Storage" (found in the rMBP) vs an aftermarket SSD? (was looking at the Samsung 840 Pro, but any will do)

Thanks for any info!

--rob

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They are using high performance drives, I think I've seen Samsung 830 and 840 mentioned.

You might gain some performance if you pick a top top drive in the aftermarket. But it will probably be marginal gains. I wouldn't think it's worth it unless you just want more capacity.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The rMBPs don't have use a standard SSD form factor. I believe OWC is the only company that makes aftermarket upgrades.

*edit* Unless that isn't what you're asking about.

I'd say the aftermarket 840 Pro is the one of the fastest drives out there.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This is correct. You can't buy any normal SSD and put it into the rMBP. OWC is the only third party who makes an aftermarket SSD for it.

Either way though, I think the Samsung 830 controller that Apple uses is better than the Sandforce controller in the OWC drive.

The Samsung SSD in a rMBP should be getting about 400MBps writes, 450MBps reads, so even with the 840 Pro, the difference is marginal and hardly noticeable unless at really disk intensive tasks.

5. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Thanks for the info! I thought the 13" was the only one that had the non-standard stuff... the RAM is standard tho, right?

--rob

6. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Both the 13" and 15" Retina MBP's have their RAM soldered on to the motherboard/logic board, it is not upgradable or replaceable.

Both models are very similar in what can and can't be replaced, such as both use flash modules which are replaceable but will not take standard SSD's or hard drives. The only other part thats easily swappable is the wireless card.

7. robo456 thread starter macrumors 6502

robo456

Gotcha, thanks for all the info everyone!!

--rob

8. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Your figures are pretty spot on.

410 MB/s write and 452 MB/s read in a 13 inch 2.5GHz rMBP is what I am recording with the BlackMagicDesign App, compared to 247 MB/s and 495 MB/s in a 15 inch 2.6 2012 cMBP fitted with a Crucial M4 (a slower SSD by todays standards).

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

OWC is the only company making retina 3rd party drives.

OWC is actually noticeably faster.
    http://www.zdnet.com/owc-aura-pro-ssd-for-retina-macbook-pro-verdict-faster-and-cheaper-7000007082/

That's ultimately why I picked the 256GB version of retina.

for 15":

pros:
    - get faster drive for the same amount of money (actually I'm getting mine from US to europe, so that means get a faster drive for LESS money than from apple)
    - keep the 256GB drive with OWC TB enclosure for ultrafast external

cons:
    - screw with your retina

for 13": ****ing no-brainer, apple charges 800$ for 500gb drive.

----------

RAM is standard but due to the fact that is soldered, it's highly optimized and has a better throughput than a non-retina counterpart (or any other laptop, for that matter)

http://macperformanceguide.com/mbpRetina2012-speed-memory-bandwidth.html