15" rMBP FPS Gaming Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bniedzj, Dec 29, 2013.

1. bniedzj macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm new to the forums here and have been having some problems related to fps while gaming. I recently purchased the $2,599.00 15" rMBP and decided to try out a few games. However, when I loaded up minecraft the fps was considerably low averaging around 15-20fps. I've messed around in the settings turning stuff on and off but nothing seemed to help. I'm not sure if this is considered normal for this macbook or if something is wrong with the graphics cards.

Thanks for the help.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Use GFXcardstatus and force the GPU into NVIDIA and see whether it helps or not.

3. leman macrumors 604

Try setting 'performance:balanced', 'advanced OpenGL:false'

4. bniedzj thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried both of your suggestions, but it didn't seem to change a thing. I'm still averaging 15-20fps with "fast graphics" and pretty much everything turned off.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Is it vanilla Minecraft? What Minecraft version are you running? Is it a fresh install? Do you have OptiFine installed? You are running on the 750m right? You could set Max Framerate to Unlimited. Do you have VSync off?

6. bniedzj thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a fresh install of Minecraft. I've ran it on the 750m, v-sync off, with/without Optifine, and they all had the same result of 15-20fps.

7. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

So Minecraft 1.7.4? What Java version are you using?

8. bniedzj thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Minecraft 1.7.4. and Java version 7 (update 45).

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Well... I don't know. I have the same computer, but BTO and I get more like 20-40 FPS. I get more reliable (and usually better) frame rates with modded Minecraft (and I never use OptiFine). I'll do some more testing. It could just be Minecraft's absolutely horrendous code and coding practices. I'm assuming you tried after a restart with only Minecraft running?

10. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

This is the correct answer. It happens on a few games where the games themselves are horribly optimized. Flash games also run into a huge problem.

Remember, the Retina display is essentially scaling itself, and some games freak out at trying to get large enough to be seen.

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

It is just sad how mods are needed at times to get remotely decent frame rates in Minecraft. I have over 100 mods running (and no OptiFine) and I can sometimes get over 100 FPS with all setting maxed.

12. bniedzj thread starter macrumors newbie

Just thought I'd update you guys. Today I logged onto Minecraft and now I'm getting 175+ fps with only the integrated graphics enabled in gfxCardStatus.

13. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

what screen res and nvidia drivers? So far apple hasn't updated the nvidia drivers, as well. You can get a workaround for it by changing an ini..

Glad to know your issue is fixed..