15" rMBP from amazon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azarias59, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Azarias59 macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a used 15" macbook pro w/ retina this coming week. However I was wondering, If I buy it from Amazon, will I get the standard apple warranty? Or will I get a warranty from amazon? Or no warranty at all?

----------

Also, can I buy the applecare with it if it is used? ("like new" condition)

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

If it was purchased within the last year from the seller you will continue to the warranty until the first year is over. Apple Care can be purchased during this time.

I would try and get the serial number from the seller and look it up at the site below. It will you tell you everything you need to know regarding repairs/warranty.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

3. Azarias59 thread starter macrumors newbie

So, will I receive a complete 1 year warranty or not? I can't get the serial number. I am buying it from amazon directly, not some random seller.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I bought an open-box iMac on Amazon.com and I received a full 1 year warranty. I just had to call Apple and email them a receipt.

5. Azarias59 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, I just realized I left out a big part.

I was planning on buying 'Used' from Amazon Warehouse deals (Not an independent seller).

6. skevin macrumors newbie

oh wow. I bought my retina 15 mid august of last year but my warranty is up in a week. ( Don't understand why it doesn't start from purchase date) If I didn't check this thread I wouldn't have been able to replace my image retention ridden screen. Thanks!:eek:

7. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Did you read my post?

"If it was purchased within the last year from the seller you will continue to the warranty until the first year is over. Apple Care can be purchased during this time."

You will not get to start a brand new year if you purchase a used MBP. You will get to continue the ORIGINAL year from when the MBP was ORIGINALLY purchased. If you buy an MBP that still has warranty left, you can always add AC during that period.

8. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Find your receipt, take a picture of it with your phone, or scan it. Call 1-800-SOS-APPL. With that proof of purchase, your warranty will be extended to match your purchase date, not the system ship date. Apple understands these may sit in inventory before being sold.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

But it's not new, it's a used machine that was perviously sold. Apple's been less friendly these days on backdating what are essentially Open Box/Return computers.

10. lcseds macrumors 6502a

My post was directed at skevin, which is why I quoted his post. Not the OP who did mention a used system.

11. kis macrumors 65816

Yeah - they might have stopped doing this altogether. I bought an rMBP and later found out that it had previously been sold and returned. I bought it as new and it was shrink-wrapped. Anyway - in the apple store I was told it only had half a year of warranty left and that there's no way to get it extended to the full 12 months.

12. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I frequently purchase from Warehouse Deals - Never had a problem having Apple adjust my purchase date until March of 2012.

Best chance is to fax proof of purchase and hope it gets over looked - when you talk to a rep on the phone you will most likely get shut down ( I have been unsuccessful the last 4 times).

13. messiry macrumors member

I am buying a 13 rMBP from a random seller and when I looked up the serial on the selfsolve.apple.com I found it is correct however the warranty didn't start yet! He is saying the warranty will start once I unbox it and login with my apple ID, is that correct?
    Thanks