15' RMBP Gaming Problem (under win7 bootcamp)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crisis, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crisis macrumors member

I play the new Need For Speed under bootcamp win7 64bit, and I do nothing else with this system, just for gaming, (so it's very clean).
    However, sometimes after I startup, and launch the game, the game is very very slow, it looks like running on the HD4000 not GT650.
    I tried to restart the computer or reinstall the graphic card driver and it does't work.
    Every time when the game runs smoothly, I can hear the fans start working when I see my car. When the game is slow, the fan is not working. I assume it's because the hybrid graphic cards does not switch to GT650.
    Is there anyone have the same problem or have a solution? maybe to force windows using GT650?

2. markus843 macrumors regular

If you're going to spend thousands of dollars on a machine, use bootcamp, and just play games, you are better off just buying a pc..

3. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

What he said.

You bought the WRONG PC.

4. nephilim7 macrumors regular

cripes there are lot of goofballs on this forum... OP, ignore above posters.

to op: there is an smc bug that is causing the CPU to run at dog slow speed. Reset your pram and smc and make sure you update osx to 10.8.2 and graphics update 2.0. It was caused by OSX doing something screwy to the smc controller that windows had a hard time dealing with. The update also makes games work better under osx, but at the normal 10%-20% penalty.

the rMBP is a monster when it comes to laptop gaming. I run diablo at max at 2300something x something, WoW at 2800x1900 all on ultra and modern games at full at 1680. It runs games better than my buddies latest 'alienware gaming laptop'. Which was a shock to me because my last mbp was a 2010 and it was 'tolerable'.

5. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Did you stop to think that perhaps he only uses the Windows 7 partition for games and uses OSX for everything else?

6. markus843 macrumors regular

"I play the new Need For Speed under bootcamp win7 64bit, and I do nothing else with this system, just for gaming"

He stated he does nothing else with his system.

7. Crisis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I will try reset smc, and it is a monster!

----------

This is precisely what I meant.

----------

I think "system" makes more sense when refers to Windows.

8. markus843 macrumors regular

To me, system means computer, like "System preferences" and whatnot. Operating system would make more sense. Sorry for the irrelevant posts, hope everything works out for you.

9. nephilim7 macrumors regular

[edit: pointless drivel bashing someone else for posting pointless drivel deleted]

10. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

install all the bootcamp drivers and nvidia drivers?

11. reery macrumors regular

reery

It's a known issue with the rMBP. After the 10.8.2 EFI update the automatic throttling won't allow the GPU to increase its speed if a certain load level is reached and so decreasing its speed to 1/4th or 1/5th of its actual speed.

It doesn't matter if the GPU reaches a certain temperature because the throttling occurs right from idle state. It's just a bug. Throwing out a modified EFI update without testing it properly.

Here is a thread about it: http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...-complain-of-graphics-issues-after-efi-update

12. Geckotek, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

You drew conclusions on your own without complete information. Your assumption was completely wrong.

13. Crisis thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, very useful. Seems the only permanent way to resolve this is another update. At the meantime, reset SMC is the solution.

14. nephilim7 macrumors regular

late news is late. That article, though dated yesterday covers weeks old news that was already fixed with Graphics Update 2.0.

15. Crisis thread starter macrumors member

I remember I have installed that update, so what's my computer's problem now...

16. nephilim7 macrumors regular

really? I have to confess I've never had that problem, I just got my 15" rMBP a week ago, and having read about the evil 1.0 update, I never applied it (and stayed at 10.8.0), until the Graphics Update 2.0 was released, and I've never encountered it. Do you still have to constantly reset SMC? There are two more threads here that talk about this in depth (look for EFI Update, and the second you can find with Graphics Update).

Sorry not to be of more help, I almost feel guilty not suffering from any of the issues that others have.