15" rMBP Heatsink Screw Stripped

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AkramHD, Jul 9, 2014.

1. AkramHD macrumors member

So I was attempting a thermal paste swap on my 15" rMBP, and everything was going fine until I began unscrewing the screws on the heat sink.

They were a bit tough, and I had trouble with them, but I managed to unscrew them all but one. I kept trying to unscrew the screw that was troubling me but i just wouldn't budge, and upon further inspection it's clear that I've stripped it.

After seeing that I stripped it, I began to think that I've messed it all up and I'm never going to be able to swap the thermal paste on my rMBP, which I really need to do, so I just screwed everything back together and closed it up. I'm still thinking this up to now, but I'm hoping I can find someone who could give me a solution. I really need to swap this thermal paste.

Any input is appreciated.. thanks.

2. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

The least drastic approach to getting out a stripped screw is to lay a rubber band over the screw before applying a screwdriver in order to try to gain some traction and get the screw to turn a bit. Once it's out enough you can try to grab it and turn it with some small pliers if unscrewing it with the rubber band in place is a hassle. You'll need a new screw to replace it with before you reapply your thermal paste.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are several different ways to remove a stripped screw. Have you tried placing a small piece of rubber band on the screw and then pressing the screwdriver into it? How about a tiny drop of superglue in the screw head, press and hold the driver in until the glue is hardened and then slowly remove the screw? There are screw removal kits you can buy. If the screw isn't recessed, you can possibly grip it with needle nose pliers. Anyway, it's going to depend on what screw you're removing. Look for some guides online.

Now for a question...why do you need to replace the thermal paste? I've owned half a dozen different Mac laptops and none of them have NEEDED different thermal paste. The ones that I still know about are working to this day, including a 2006 MacBook.

4. AkramHD thread starter macrumors member

Lot's of people on this forum with the same model as me have had temperatures throttle their performance, and after replacing the thermal paste they no longer encountered this problem.

From what I hear, Apple has a bad reputation when it comes to thermal paste.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Fair enough. Personally I've never run into this issue, but it's possible I've just been lucky.